Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about bringing home a new bird. I have one cockatiel now and have raised budgies in the past, and I love both species. But I recently found some adorable hand-raised parrotlets, which I've never had before. I need some help deciding which bird to get, tiel, keet, or parrotlet. Does anyone know what parrotlets are like? Which species do you prefer?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cockatiel
Parrotlets, like Amazon parrots have their favorite human.
Budgies are noisier & dirtier than 'tiels.
I love my ASh-he is the one!
Jerry

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are looking for something different and parrotlike why not get a linoated parakeet?

they are very gentle like Tiels but more parrot-like by holding things in their claws and climbing everywhere, even upside down.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
I think parrotlets are adorable, but they have special personalities and they aren't for everyone. Parrotlets are frequently described as Amazons in a tiny body. They don't get along with other species and don't get along too well with other parrotlets either. I was told by a knowledgeable parrotlet breeder that the only bird you should keep in a cage with a parrotlet is a compatible parrotlet of the opposite sex. Same-sex parrotlet cagemates are a big no-no because it will eventually end up in a fight to the death.

Parrotlets are fearless and don't hesitate to start a fight with a cockatoo or a macaw, which leads to a lot of parrotlet deaths as you can imagine. No toy or piece of food is too big for them, they'll try anything. If you want a bird with a personality that's 100 times bigger than its body then a parrotlet might be the bird for you. But if you want something that will get along with other birds, a parrotlet isn't the right choice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou! That is so helpful. I hadn't even thought about a lineolated parakeet. Any ideas of where to find breeders?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts