Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have had Ezra for about a month now. She is extremely skiddish around me, no matter what I do. Every time I go to change her water or food, she hisses and spreads her tail feathers. She also does not want to leave her cage. I’ve tried using the wooden peg and she has none of it.

I’ve sat next to her while I tutor students. I sing. All doing so in a normal speaking volume or quieter as I’m not a loud person.

I feel like I’m getting nowhere, and all I seem to run into are setbacks, like last night I had to clean her cage so I moved her into another room after basically forcing her out of the main cage. She flew in the other room into a corner and was really scared. I couldn’t get her to get into the small cage to move her back into the other one without bumping her from behind with the wooden peg.

The person I got her from was a breeder and says she was hand fed, but outside of that I think she is basically a “wild” tiel.

Is there anything else I can do? I can’t even tell what kind of treat she likes because she won’t eat any of them (mango, papaya, peanuts, sunflower seeds, spinach, cherries, kiwi, apple). She’s been to the vet and is healthy she’s 4 months old now. Also got her this huge cage thinking the smaller one was not big enough
Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Mesh

· Registered
30 Posts
Hello! So for starters I want to say that I’ve never myself had experience taming a wild cockatiel. I got mine at 2.5 weeks old and hand fed her myself from there. But I do have experience with knowing what is scary to teils, snd what might help make her feel safe, which in turn might make the process easier. First of all I think it’s amazing that you got your cockatiel such a large cage! It really shows you want them to have the best life possible. But cage placement might be making things hard. I believe for her to start trusting you, you want her to feel as safe as she possibly can in general. So her cage being right next to a fishtank (lots of lights and movement) and then what appears to be across from a front door? Also a lot of sound and movement. If possible if you could put the cage in a place where two sides are next to a wall, or if you can’t move it maybe cover one side with a sheet. It gives the bird a sense of security like they can hide somewhere. The safer the bird feels the more she might be willing to get adventurous in other areas.
also my teil Won’t touch fruit. Much more of a leafy green kinda gal. So maybe try lettuce, beansprouts,etc.
Last thing, a month might seem long but it might just take more time. I’d not try to get her out of the cage. If anything leave the door open as an option for her. And spend a decent amount of time every day just talking to her, in a calming voice.
I hope any of this helped!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does. Basically across from her is my partner’s tiel who is the complete opposite. We brought her home and she was basically loving everything. Both cockatiels talk to each other tho Ezra is more into Tali than the other way around.
I’ll put a sheet on the side with the fish tank. That’s the best spot for the cage to avoid sunlight (Arizona style homes have windows everywhere) and drafts (moved all vents away).
I’ve been worried reading that since she wasn’t hand tamed young, she may never come around. I don’t want her living a very stressed life with me if that’s what will happen.
After the fright the other night, I gave her a bunch of space today and yesterday. Though now she primarily sits in her food which she did not really do previously

· Registered
30 Posts
It does. Basically across from her is my partner’s tiel who is the complete opposite. We brought her home and she was basically loving everything. Both cockatiels talk to each other tho Ezra is more into Tali than the other way around.
I’ll put a sheet on the side with the fish tank. That’s the best spot for the cage to avoid sunlight (Arizona style homes have windows everywhere) and drafts (moved all vents away).
I’ve been worried reading that since she wasn’t hand tamed young, she may never come around. I don’t want her living a very stressed life with me if that’s what will happen.
After the fright the other night, I gave her a bunch of space today and yesterday. Though now she primarily sits in her food which she did not really do previously
Yeah I feel like that can definitely be stressful to worry about that, but give it some more time, and when talking to her, maybe also try not looking at her while talking. Being prey animals having eyes on you can be intimidating. And there is a chance she might not become a super cuddly bird, but I don’t think by any extent she will always be afraid or live a life of fear around you. Hang in there!

· Registered
23 Posts
Hello! So for starters I want to say that I’ve never myself had experience taming a wild cockatiel. I got mine at 2.5 weeks old and hand fed her myself from there. But I do have experience with knowing what is scary to teils, snd what might help make her feel safe, which in turn might make the process easier. First of all I think it’s amazing that you got your cockatiel such a large cage! It really shows you want them to have the best life possible. But cage placement might be making things hard. I believe for her to start trusting you, you want her to feel as safe as she possibly can in general. So her cage being right next to a fishtank (lots of lights and movement) and then what appears to be across from a front door? Also a lot of sound and movement. If possible if you could put the cage in a place where two sides are next to a wall, or if you can’t move it maybe cover one side with a sheet. It gives the bird a sense of security like they can hide somewhere. The safer the bird feels the more she might be willing to get adventurous in other areas.
also my teil Won’t touch fruit. Much more of a leafy green kinda gal. So maybe try lettuce, beansprouts,etc.
Last thing, a month might seem long but it might just take more time. I’d not try to get her out of the cage. If anything leave the door open as an option for her. And spend a decent amount of time every day just talking to her, in a calming voice.
I hope any of this helped!
Hello, ik its very hard to train a wild bird but keep trying I'd clip her wings so she don't fly to much around and get hurt. Ik a few people that didn't clip the wings and the door go open and out the bird goes I hear about that alot or get hurt maybe she will tame down a bit after that. Try broccoli 🥦 mine love it. Good luck 👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts