Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Hoping the experts can help out here with sexing this baby cockatiel.

Baby is a whiteface pied.

Father is a normal grey, mother is a grey pied hen. No known history on either line for this pair. They produce grey and cinnamon white-faced pieds.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Based on mutation that is not possible with this particular pairing. Birds with only autosomal mutations aren't very easy to sex at a very young age. Sex-linked carrying chicks can sometimes be sexed though based on family history, or if the number of sex-linked traits is downright ridiculous. I can tell you that the cinnamon chicks in this pairing are female and make up 50% of the hens produced by this pair. If the other half of the hens are another sex-linked trait or if they are normal gray as well is an open question. At least 2/3 of your normal gray will be male; if another sex-linked trait is found to be carried by the father all the normal gray will be males. But this is a big "if".

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Both whiteface and pied are autosomal (ordinary) recessive mutations so we can't tell the sex based on mutation. But it's more likely than not that it's a boy. Dad is obviously split to cinnamon and pied, and both parents are split to whiteface.

Here's the reason it's more likely than not that it's a boy. The expected outcomes for this pair ignoring all mutations but cinnamon are:
25% cinnamon girls
25% gray girls
50% gray boys

We already know that it's not the first one. Looking at the gray chicks alone, the odds are 50/75 (2 out of 3) that it's a boy and 25/75 (1 out of 3) that it's a girl.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies!

I made an error in my original post. This is the correct info:

**The father is heavy grey pied and the mother is a normal grey.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
No problem, that doesn't change the outcome but the splits are a little different than what I said earlier. Dad is split to cinnamon and whiteface and mom is split to whiteface and pied. The percentages of cinnamon babies and grey babies are still the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts