Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have had our cockatiel for about 3months now but I've been away at university so only had chance to bond this holiday. He is 6months old and his cage is appoximately 100(w)x100(d)x200(height). We have him out of the cage for about 3-4 hours a day so he can fly around a bit and have a little play but we can't have him out all the time because he loves eating our food and is not happy simply perched on his cage so we walk around like pirates all the time he is out with him on our shoulders.

The problem we are having is him screaching. When he is alone for a bit (over 10minutes), he is fine; but when people are around but he can not see them and is not getting attention, he lets out little screaches - about a second at a time, with 3-5 seconds intervals and he goes on and on and on until someone goes to his cage and plays with him or you leave him alone for 10minutes or so. Usually it's the former as we don't like to leave him alone. If he can see you, he will just do a cute little whistle, but if you take a step out of his view, he starts screaching again.

Please can somebody give advice on this because we love him to bits but it is getting extremely irritating at times and we want to make him as comfortable as possible.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
He is flock calling to you. He just wants to know you're okay and that you're nearby. You can call back to him...just pick a sound and stick with it and then respond with the sound each time he calls to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a boy, named Marco :) I have heard of this flock call before when doing some research and so I've been doing a whistle that he knows a few times everytime I leave the room but he still screaches. (I'm new to cockatiels) Will he screach as his flock call or is it possible that he will change if we continue to use the same call to him?

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
My two boys screech too. :mad: I have done everything I could do... I would even go to their cage to talk with them and they would still do it right to my face. I just toss the blanket on them and walk away-- the quiet down or will start singing. I will uncover them. Then sometimes they are it up again. Ugh. I have been trying to find answers/solutions myself.

Jill

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It sounds like your tiels are spoiled to being let out of their cage! :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine does this too. Calling back to her doesn't work at all for me, it just makes her call out even more. The only thing that works for me is to be so quiet that she thinks I'm not home. Either that, or I give in and go get her :D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts