Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help
Can anyone tell me, is it true that the are some letters of the alphabet
that you should use, to start a cockateils name ? (male cockateil)
Put another way when naming a cockateil are the certain letters of the alphabet that the name should not start with , letters that cockateils have trouble saying at the begining of a name. if this is true what are they?
Also is it true that when naming a cockateil you should try to limit the name to 4 characters or 5 at very most.
i need to name my cockateil and have got my list down to about 6 from about 15. But i want to choose a name that the cockateil will maybe able to talk. Please if anyone can help me send me a email as soon as posable.
Thankyou:eek:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Hi Jimmey, welcome to Talk Tiels!! :D

I have heard that K, P and T sounds are easy for birds to pronounce in words. :) What are some of the names you're thinking of using for your tiel? Some common first words are things like "kissy", "pretty boy", etc - you can see they have the easier sounds at the start.

Having said that, tiels aren't known for their talking ability. Many males do talk, but not necessarily clearly and it's definitely not a guarantee with tiels (or any bird). Male tiels ARE known for their ability to mimic whistles. Things like wolf whistles and simple tunes are picked up easily by lots of males. :D

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I agree with Bea cockatiels are not known for there talking ability, I would go with a name you like and not so much a name you think he will be able to say because there is no guarantee he will say it anyways, my males name is Ollie and he can say his name and a few other words some of them are not clear enough to understand but to be honest he would rather whistle pretty tunes and ring like the telephone :p more then anything else :D

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I read in a magazine that birds have trouble with s sounds. But my cockatiel Spike can say his name just fine :) I know for a dog it is good to have more than one syllable since they might think you are telling them no all the time. I don't think there are really any strict rules on birds names. I would just not name them no or bad ;) What are the names you are having trouble picking?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts