Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all :),
Im trying to figure out what gender my 6 week old baby is.
Ive called it Mellow, which is a male and female name, i just dont want to keep calling Mellow he or she which could be wrong.
We have two other hand reared cockatiels, that Mellow is quite keep on, they are both girls... the feeling between them isnt mutual, they seam to run away but its only Mellow's second day here. Mellow is most of the time in her/his own cage, but would eventually like for them to be in the same cage. If Mellow is a male would that not allow that to happen?
Mellow has a habit of head bobbing, not more or less around the other girls.
Mellow is a Reverse Pastelface Platinum Pearl Pied (tail looks to be solid yellow), and i dont know what the parents are but could easily find out. If this information isn't enough to say girl or boy then ill upload a photo, :).

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
If Mellows mother was not a pearl then Mellow is a girl, if the mother was a pearl mellow could be either sex. Unfortunately pearls cannot be wing spot sexed so you will have to go by behaviour ( boy behaviour is whistling, heart wings, beak banging) or wait until Mellow molts and see if Mellow keeps the pearls and is a girl or starts losing them( and molts in solid tail feathers and flight feathers) and is a boy.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
6 weeks is rather young to be weaned
the head bobbing is most likely begging for food
this bird needs to finish weaning please contact the breeder you got him from or he can starve

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
this bird needs to finish weaning please contact the breeder you got him from or he can starve
wow ya that totally escaped me Casey! Are you handfeeding Mellow?

p.s What does reverse mean? Ive never heard this term in regards to tiel mutations.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really?!
Now im really concerned, i thought she was super young to even come home, she/he could be 7 weeks but thats the max. I was told to pick her up when she had been on seed for 5 days which i picked her up saturday. She seams to be eating fine, shes eating seed, pellets, wholemeal bread, corn and millet spray.
Ill call the breeder now, im really concerned now. Thanks for the advice, to both of you. Ill update you once ive spoken to the breeder. (The breeder is HiggiChicks, which is well know so i trusted everything he said.)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sometimes stress of a new home can cause a chick to regress and need a bit of handfeeding
Im actually really surprised at how Mellow has settled in, she seams really settled and definitely doesn't seam stressed. But i could be wrong.
In regards to head bopping, perhaps shes okay having been weaned, maybe im just having her out too much not giving her enough time to eat?

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
sounds like shes begging still
dally did too despite being very settled and i got her at 8 weeks

10-12 weeks is the best age to get babies

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds like shes begging still
dally did too despite being very settled and i got her at 8 weeks

10-12 weeks is the best age to get babies
Should i still contact the breeder asap, and investigate if she needs a bit of hand feeding?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
You should monitor Mellows weight, monitoring a birds weight every week is very helpful regardless because weight loss is a really good indicator of illness. Also take a look at the keelbone thread, http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=17680 and also poop can give away that a bird isnt eating, http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=10100.
Tarlike consistency. If you notice that your bird is defecating blackish, tar-like feces, it could mean he's stopped eating. In small birds such as lovebirds or cockatiels, the feces may turn dark and pasty within 24 hours. It may take 48 hours or longer for larger birds such as African greys and Amazons to have these dark, dense droppings.

Also is the food bowl full of seed hulls when you change it? If so then that means Mellow is eating the seeds. Anyway definately call the breeder but these are just ways of monitoring a healthy weight and make sure their eating.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes i would just say you think shes regressed and needs more feedings
Called the breeder just then, he told me to go out and get canary seed, she has cockatiel seed at the moment so he said that shes hungry and needs the canary seed.
Thanks for your help, ive told the breeder that ill call back tonight after shes been on the canary seed for the afternoon to give a bit of report and see where to from there. :)

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I dont see how canary seed will help:confused: Did the breeder give you reasoning behind the canary seed?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont see how canary seed will help:confused: Did the breeder give you reasoning behind the canary seed?
Actually he didnt... he went through what i was giving her (Seed (cockatiel mix), fresh corn on the cob, wholemeal bread and millet) when i said the larger cockatiel mix he said no no no you need to give her canary mix.
I went and got her canary mix and now i haven't seen her eat at all...
He told me the bobbing was just a habit.
Im really confused, he didnt say any reasoning, nor anything else bar saying get canary mix...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sounds like this breeder is one who force weans. Canary seed has smaller pieces so people assume that it is easier for the babies to negotiate.

If I were you, I would pick up some hand feeding formula and suppliment feed. If you are in a pinch, you don't need to use a syringe, just use a small baby spoon and let the chick feed off that. You just want to be sure the chick is getting some food. Put millet in the cage for the baby to pick at. If you cant get baby formula, get some good pellets and soak them till they are soft and use that like a formula.

Toddy (in my siggy) was force weaned by a breeder at 5 weeks and the woman who bought her called me desperate because Toddy was near dead from starvation. I drove like a bat outa **** to pick her up from the owner. Took 5 more weeks to get Toddy to actually wean, by then, the owner was so upset she gave Toddy to me. She is now a year old and will still beg for baby food from time to time if she sees other babies being hand fed.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Also, it appears as though a "reverse" is being used as a reference to the pied areas. Instead of them being white, they are completely yellow.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Its always hard to tell between genders.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Reverse pied is a term for heavy pied.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually he didnt... he went through what i was giving her (Seed (cockatiel mix), fresh corn on the cob, wholemeal bread and millet) when i said the larger cockatiel mix he said no no no you need to give her canary mix.
I went and got her canary mix and now i haven't seen her eat at all...
He told me the bobbing was just a habit.
Im really confused, he didnt say any reasoning, nor anything else bar saying get canary mix...
hi there i read ur confusion with feeding seed etc ive been breading my cockatiels and i got some info from a few different people all really similar so i know they know what there doing for babies at the 6-8wks im using formula once a day , pellets moist and budgie seed and they all love it millet seed is the best for them when weening :) if you find she's not eating enough on her own top her up with formula 2ml per feed is enough to get her going :) good luck hope its all worked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts