Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have had my cockatiel for a month, he only eats sunflower seeds, I have tried to give him other seeds but he just drops them, I will start removing sunflower seeds from his diet and will only be used as treats, but I am afraid he will starve himself if I remove sunflower seeds from his diet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can try no sunflower seeds during the day, offer sunflower seeds at the evening. In this way he will have whole day to try other seeds and won't starve to death.

Cockatiel in general is very a stubborn bird, takes a while to accept new foods. Since you are going to change his diet. Offer fresh vegetables in a separated food too. This will get him on a much healthy diet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can try no sunflower seeds during the day, offer sunflower seeds at the evening. In this way he will have whole day to try other seeds and won't starve to death.

Cockatiel in general is very a stubborn bird, takes a while to accept new foods. Since you are going to change his diet. Offer fresh vegetables in a separated food too. This will get him on a much healthy diet.
Thank you, I will try this tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Atomicbird,
I'm glad you asked this question because we've also had this problem with our cockatiel. We've only had him for about 2 weeks now and all he seems to want is sunflower seeds. I even tried to do the same thing we did with our budgies that worked for them with poking seeds into fresh foods thinking that it would get him to taste something else and maybe like it getting the seeds out, but it failed. He refused to eat anything. All he will eat is sunflower seeds and throw everything else out of cage.

I am also going to try what Daytontiel suggested tomorrow and see what happens. Ill keep my fingers crossed for the both of our cockatiels!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Atomicbird,
I'm glad you asked this question because we've also had this problem with our cockatiel. We've only had him for about 2 weeks now and all he seems to want is sunflower seeds. I even tried to do the same thing we did with our budgies that worked for them with poking seeds into fresh foods thinking that it would get him to taste something else and maybe like it getting the seeds out, but it failed. He refused to eat anything. All he will eat is sunflower seeds and throw everything else out of cage.

I am also going to try what Daytontiel suggested tomorrow and see what happens. Ill keep my fingers crossed for the both of our cockatiels!
Good luck, I hope he will stop eating the unhealthy sunflower seeds!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts