Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I鈥檓 a first time bird owner and I鈥檝e just recently adopted a very cute cockatiel~馃尰

My baby (he鈥檚 about 3 1/2 months old) is veeery attached to me; he spends the day in my bedroom with me and, although he鈥檚 been with us for about 1 1/2 month, is just barely starting to get to know my parents. Lol

The thing is, I leave him in his cage at night and I think he鈥檚 sleeping like, nothing at all. ): The cage is a rectangular one, ~40x60x60 cm3. It鈥檚 placed on the balcony and covered on all four sides once I put him in.

I think he鈥檚 not sleeping a wink because whenever I go check on him he seems wide awake. I鈥檝e asked my parents to check as well and they are also not sure he鈥檚 sleeping.

I believe the main reason is because he鈥檚 SCARED. I don鈥檛 leave him in the cage except at night, so maybe he鈥檚 not used to it? But he鈥檚 been with us for a bit more than 1 month! I thought he鈥檇 get used to it by now, but no. Also I did NOT leave him 2-3 days in his cage and thought I might try this starting tomorrow.

I鈥檝e noticed he鈥檚 been crankier lately, is flying with less coordination... I鈥檓 afraid he鈥檚 losing more feathers than what鈥檚 healthy for him (have been seeing some big feathers falling off)... also he鈥檚 sleeping a lot during the day (30min the 1st day, then 45, min, then 2h... not straight)

His poop is normal though (dark brown with white and water), his weight is alright (~88g), he鈥檚 drinking water, is playful, is flying...

I鈥檓 not sure what to do; I鈥檝e tried staying with him in the cage for a bit before; I鈥檝e tried letting the fourth cover off (but the balcony is very bright because of the lights from the outside, so I鈥檝e only let it off for a couple of hours for a couple of days)... I can鈥檛 let him stay in my room (I think) because I鈥檓 a night owl so my lights would keep him awake/wake him up. Probably.

What can I do to make him feel safe and sleep? 馃槺
(Cover at ~6-7pm; open at ~7am)

Here鈥檚 a picture of him sleeping during the day... he was eating and then suddenly dozed off~~

Registered
Please just don't check if your cockatiel sleeps or not at night. Unlike human, bird sleeps in a differently mode, bird's eyes will open and close during sleeping, and only half of bird's brain in sleeping mode, this give a bird the capability to wake up almost immediately when noise is heard. Every time you checking upon your cockatiel will only interrupt his sleeping. And If possible don't put cage outside, night animals or unknown noises from environment will wake up him too. Put cage in a dark and quiet area if possible.

All my cockatiel wills take a naps during daytime usual afternoon, they will doze off a few hours if in a quiet environment. This normal, noting to worry about.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please just don't check if your cockatiel sleeps or not at night. Unlike human, bird sleeps in a differently mode, bird's eyes will open and close during sleeping, and only half of bird's brain in sleeping mode, this give a bird the capability to wake up almost immediately when noise is heard. Every time you checking upon your cockatiel will only interrupt his sleeping. And If possible don't put cage outside, night animals or unknown noises from environment will wake up him too. Put cage in a dark and quiet area if possible.

All my cockatiel wills take a naps during daytime usual afternoon, they will doze off a few hours if in a quiet environment. This normal, noting to worry about.
Thank you so much for your advice!

The cockatiel鈥檚 cage is not placed outside - I mean, the balcony is 鈥渙utside鈥 the living room, but inside the apartment. The lights from outside (condo) shine through the glass; will this be a problem?
His cage is placed close to my guinea pigs... they move around at night - would the cockatiel get used to it?
I don鈥檛 have a quiet room where I can place him at night; we live in a small apartment and there鈥檚 noise/movement anywhere until 1am usually...

I guess his daytime naps shouldn鈥檛 be a problem then! I鈥檓 just worried because he seems crankier (he鈥檚 biting me ;-;) and it seems more of his feathers are falling... 馃槺

Registered
The lights from outside (condo) shine through the glass; will this be a problem?
His cage is placed close to my guinea pigs... they move around at night - would the cockatiel get used to it?
If possible cover the cage during night. And Move guinea pigs' cage far from his cage if possible. I never have guinea pigs, so, I don't know if they are active at night.

Registered
If he's in a dark, quiet place he will sleep because there isn't anything else for him to do. Birds wake up very easily, so he will be awake every time you look at him. But he should be sleeping during the time when you're not disturbing him.

The guinea pigs are a problem however. If they're rustling around in the dark all night long, the bird will probably think that a predator might be trying to sneak up him. That will definitely keep him awake. Keep them as far from the bird's sleep cage as you can.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he's in a dark, quiet place he will sleep because there isn't anything else for him to do. Birds wake up very easily, so he will be awake every time you look at him. But he should be sleeping during the time when you're not disturbing him.

The guinea pigs are a problem however. If they're rustling around in the dark all night long, the bird will probably think that a predator might be trying to sneak up him. That will definitely keep him awake. Keep them as far from the bird's sleep cage as you can.
Right! Ok, Thank you so much!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have a closet in your bedroom where you could place him for sleeping overnight? It would be dark in there, close the door and cover him. Make sure it is not too hot in closet, though.
Hi!!! Thank you so much for your advice~
I don't have a closet in which he can stay overnight, but, thankfully, he's sleeping at night now! I made some adjustments that I'll include in a next reply to this post~

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, everyone, thank you so much for your help! I'm proud to announce that Gogo has been sleeping at night now! :D I made some adjustments based on info I've read around. Since it might be useful to some new/future cockatiel owners as well, I thought I'd share some of them here! :)
  • My cockatiel spends the day in my bedroom, where I currently have online classes. I don't wear earphones and he sleeps regardless (despite the voices in the background).
  • Also, I noticed that he becomes alert at the sound of door squeaking, be it my bedroom's door or the main door. However, once, the main door squeaked and Gogo, on my shoulder, continued preening normally, as if he couldn't care less about that squeaky door. :ROFLMAO: (he feels safe on my shoulder so he doesn't care much about weird noises)
  • When it's about 5:30 pm (I put him to bed at about 6pm), he starts flying around, trying to find a place to sleep. Sometimes, he'd land on top of my guinea pigs' cage and would start preening. He's interacted with my GPs while I feed them (2x/day) and doesn't mind their presence from afar.
My conclusions are: he'll sleep as long as he feels safe.

Things I did before I noticed him sleeping well at night (iow less aggressive during the day, not sleeping whilst eating :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:, shedding less?):
  1. I put him to sleep in his big cage in my bedroom (I'd study at night in the same room with a desk lamp on - without the main lights on) for 3 nights
  2. After that, I put his cage back on the balcony and put him to sleep there. I covered his cage as usual while I fed my GPs (~30'). My goal was for him to stay inside the cage knowing that I was still in the room.
  3. I also tried putting him in his small cage (house shape) in a higher place, but he got scared and then I put him back into his bigger cage :p (thinking: he might have felt more comfortable after a scary situation??? XD)
I'm not really sure which of these points actually helped (if they did at all lol), but I'm glad he's sleeping at night now! :D
He now grinds his beak and when I take a peek at him he'll be fluffed up instead of skinny and on alert (taking a peek = finding a hole in the cover XD) Also his dropping indicate that he's been resting and all~

PS: his cage is covered on the back with a thick black cloth; on the sides with a light white cloth and on the front with a piece of cardboard which has some openings. The sides and front are not tightly closed.

Here's a picture of our current arranging:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.