Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with my cockatiel's constant screaming behavior. I let him out, we play we sing and whistle and dance and when I put him back in he immediately goes back to screaming even when I'm in the same room and he can see me. I cover him to make him stop and have even tried giving him treats to positively reinforce that when he stops he gets a treat. He's near a window he has food and water and I change his toys or at least rearrange them regularly. It's to a point now that I'm becoming bitter and resentful to him and have considered re-homing but I really don't want to do that. I've had him since he was a few months old and I've seen him thru some tough times. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it greatly!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is probably lonely. Have you got another bird? If so, put them in the same cage. If not, reply no
He has two budgie pals in the same cage with him, they've lived together for a few years and do fine together. And I can distinguish like when he plays he screams/squawks versus when he just stares at me and screams.

·
Registered
43 Posts
He’s might be lonely have you might try and get a other female cocktail for him he’s might going through mateing behaviour can get noisy and Aggressive want Constant attention to try to switch off the TV turn off the light cover him and leave the room it might help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He’s might be lonely have you might try and get a other female cocktail for him he’s might going through mateing behaviour can get noisy and Aggressive want Constant attention to try to switch off the TV turn off the light cover him and leave the room it might help
So he would be lonely even tho he has two other bird friends in his cage?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was in a similar position to you just last week with a budgie. I love the little fella dearly but he was becoming resentful towards me and I was becoming resentful towards him. I didn't want to let him go but one morning I lost my temper and swore at him.

36hrs later he was in a new home because that is not a nice situation to force him to live in, it was miserable for me too. I found him a nice forever home in the aviary of a breeder. Best decision I ever made even though I shed many tears. I have received pics and vids and he seems much happier. I feel better with my remaining flock and much happier also.

They are helpless creatures and rely on us to make the best decisions for them. Sometimes you gotta love them enough to let them move on without you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was in a similar position to you just last week with a budgie. I love the little fella dearly but he was becoming resentful towards me and I was becoming resentful towards him. I didn't want to let him go but one morning I lost my temper and swore at him.

36hrs later he was in a new home because that is not a nice situation to force him to live in, it was miserable for me too. I found him a nice forever home in the aviary of a breeder. Best decision I ever made even though I shed many tears. I have received pics and vids and he seems much happier. I feel better with my remaining flock and much happier also.

They are helpless creatures and rely on us to make the best decisions for them. Sometimes you gotta love them enough to let them move on without you.
My husband and I have taken a vow to try and really work with him for a few weeks to see if we can meet his social needs. I would never throw anything at him, just to be clear. If we can't I already have someone lined up who is interested in him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts