Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i haven't been on this forum for quite a while, i was diagnosed with a chronic illness that makes me quite sick, got married in may and moved states in august. i hope everyone and their birdies are going well!

today i picked sadie up (she's just turned 2 in october) and i noticed her vent had poop on it, so i had a look and realised it was open and immediately new she'd laid her first egg. i looked around for it and saw a smashed egg under the cage grate. the shell looked soft, but i haven't touched it yet.

i'm freaking out! i do not want her to breed, and thus want to stop her from laying eggs. i haven't researched egg laying all that much and do not know what to do. i'm so scared of her becoming egg bound or not getting enough nutrients. what do i need to give her? she's fed vetafarm pellets and cockatiel seed, along with peas and corn and banana - she doesn't eat anything else! what do i do?!?! i plan on completely re-arranging the cage and putting them in our spare bedroom to sleep at 5pm (it's currently spring time) i just hope it'll be dark enough in there. do i need to get something other than a plain mineral block they already have?

she is in the cage with penelope and archie, who i've seen try to get on top of her a few months ago, but not since then, so have no idea if the egg was fertile.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Make their nights longer by putting them in a dull lit room or covering them up for at least 14hours a day.

You could try separating them as well?

Calcium and vitamin D! That's all I can think of, sorry, just woke up and I'm in zombie mode :/

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I am having a similar problem. My year old female has started laying. She has laid three so far.

I have her on fourteen hour nights and rearranged her cage. While these are good suggestions and may work for you, mind is continuing to lay.

You are supposed to leave the eggs with them until they lost interest, but you can't if it is broken. So, substitute fake eggs! You can get them from dummyeggs.com or Vermont Bird Supply (I don't remember the exact website for the latter).

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am having a similar problem. My year old female has started laying. She has laid three so far.

I have her on fourteen hour nights and rearranged her cage. While these are good suggestions and may work for you, mind is continuing to lay.

You are supposed to leave the eggs with them until they lost interest, but you can't if it is broken. So, substitute fake eggs! You can get them from dummyeggs.com or Vermont Bird Supply (I don't remember the exact website for the latter).
i haven't seen the eggs locally and for me to order them online would take at least another week for them to get here (i'm in australia).

today i got her another cuttlebone and some vetafarm calcivet drops, which i've put in their water dish. i'm considering giving sadie the drops orally though, the shells have been kind of soft - but maybe i'm just expecting something a lot harder like a chicken egg.

she laid another egg today and it broke. i wonder if she is just laying them from her perch and they drop and break or she smashes them herself. i noticed this one had a small streak of blood on the shell, which i've read is normal for new layers.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I just got my 'tiel to stop laying eggs. Kiwi laid about 15+ before she stopped, I lost count. None were soft shells thankfully, I'm going to give credit to calcium supplements. She has been in her travel cage to help rehabilitate her healing leg. Longer nights, cuttlebones, giving her another calcium supplement, sunshine factor (vitamin A to help pass eggs), she also got some DMG and an avian probiotic I don't know if that factors in or not.

I also took away any extra food she didn't need. She got half seed, half pellets. I found that it was mostly the excess of food that was causing Kiwi to lay eggs. I took away millet and dumped out her food and replaced it daily instead of piling it up. That along with longer nights helped her stop laying. She hasn't laid an egg since last Wednesday so far and dropped back down to her normal 80 gram weight range. Because Kiwi's was food related, dummy eggs helped at first but she continued laying more. She had about 20 eggs one time (along with all 9 dummy eggs I got) in the cage with her and she was still laying more. She was like a chronic egg layer or egg hoarder. It was really scary. I've taken all of them out and no more eggs so far, hope it stays like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts