Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi,
i am finding my cockateil babies dying during hatching from eggs. 2/3 passed away this way and the last egg was not fertile.

i may also mention that the cockateil laid 5-6 eggs about one month earlier that i had to waste because their place was in a new home (with same cage) and the female did not spend time with those eggs.

Can anybody guide what should i do to save the babies dying or for fertile eggs?

Thank a lot.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Need way more information than just babies dieing,
1.)what type of diet do your birds get,
2.)are they supplemented with calcium for good egg production,
3.)what type of bedding do you use, how much bedding is in the nest box,
4.)are there any disturbances that may cause the parents to trample babes on the way out of the box,
5.)what condition are the babes in when they hatch, when they die,
6.)what condition are the eggs in, are they uniform in color, do they have streaks, is there a build up on any part of the egg,
7.)is this the pairs first attempt (prior to other laying) that they are actually raising babes,
8.)do babes peep after hatching are they giving feeding responses to parents or are the quiet, 9.)what color are the babes, a healthy pink or a red,
10.)do they die the minute they are out of the shell or within 24 hours,
we need more info if we are going to beable to find the problem.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
First off you really need to supplu more info in order for anyone to help or advise you.

Can you clarify when exactly they are dying....such as before they geyt out of the shell....or after they have hatched out, and how long after.

If in the shell did you open the shell to see what is going on...such as did they look dried out with a white paper membrane adherred to them? Of is they had hatched out did the skintone look normal or red? Were they active? Did they look like they go fed by the parents?

Please supply as much info as you can. Take pix's of anything that would be helpful if you can.

Other helpful info would be the type of nestbox used, what type of bedding in the box and how much. What has the weather been like...like as hot and humid, or dry, no rain...etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts