Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
Three weeks ago I took in a new cockatiel. He's the second cockatiel I've owned after my previous tiel passed away.
He is not tame, his wings are not clipped (i don't like the idea of doing that) and is now 14 weeks old.

My old tiel Jasper might have been the most easiest tamed bird ever, within 3 weeks he was riding around on my shoulder and that's where he stayed for the next 14 years.

I was not expecting the new bird (still not named, im terrible at names) to be the same at all, but he was very chilled out initially.

The first few days were standard "let him settle" time, not that he needed it. He was very relaxed from day one, whenever I needed to change his water or food or clean the cage, he would just watch my hand curiously as I moved about with no hint of panic. If my hand got too close he would take a step in the other direction, but did not try to flee.

It got to the point were he was clearly comfortable with his new environment and with me outside the cage. He would eat and drink or preen with me right there beside him. So I decided to start trying to tame him.

The first few days went how I imagined they would. Placing my hand inside the cage and him just looking at me, inching away when my hand got to close, ignoring the millet stalk I would hold; Nothing unexpected.

However a few days ago, he changed his mind. When I put my hand in the cage with him, he got closer to me (quick progress! Or so I thought) but then hissed and lunged at me. He had not displayed any aggression before this, even when new and unfamiliar.
I didn't pull away and kept my hand in the cage for a few minutes after, before taking it out so as not to reinforce his negative behaviour. I left him alone for a while before trying again with millet, he didn't like this either, attacking the millet stalk.

I figured he was having a grump day and that's fine. But 6 days later this is his behaviour each time. Sometimes he'll jump onto the perch nearest me and start banging his beak on it too. I'd never seen Jasper do that but an old thread on this forum said that this is aggressive behaviour too. Often He would do that happy beak grinding they do after lunging, which seems like a big contradiction in his feelings.

I've been sticking to a routine, 3 times a day for 20 minutes each time. I didn't try the taming for two days after the second aggressive day, hoping he would get over it, but that didn't happen.

I don't really know how to proceed with him. I know taming can take months or longer, and I was prepared for that. I wasn't prepared for his attitude to regress after initially seeming to be so relaxed. He's content at all other times. Just not during the attempted taming sessions anymore.

Any advice or anecdotes about similar situations will be greatly appreciated :)

PS I've attached a picture of him, any name suggestions will be welcomed haha

Attachments

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
This sounds like hormonal behavior - he's defending his "nest" against intruders. He settled down very quickly if he's already comfortable enough to want to breed! This article has information on techniques that can reduce the hormone levels: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-hormones.html In the meantime, the aggression will probably disappear if you take him out of the cage. Males only try to defend their nest area against intruders, and aren't defensive when they're away from the nest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agree with tielfan, it sounds hormonal! Here are some quick and easy tips for toning that down. Hope it helps!
7C160DAA-E0A9-4A5A-8ADB-630FB1BBD842.jpeg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts