Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I got two cockatiels, Pine and Coco, I got them from two different breeders. The one with black markings on tail is Coco, the breeder told me that he s male and the other blonde one is Pine, supposed to be a girl. The problem is Pine mounting Coco because Coco cant successfully mount the girl. They are mating for like a couple of months still i didn't get any eggs. They go into their boxes and stay there playing family, but i 'm starting to think that they are gay. Do you have any advice other than DNA testing? :ylw lovie::ylw lovie:

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Does either of them whistle? Coco is pied, which makes gender identification by looks quite difficult.. When they do mate, does Coco makes any sounds? or they do it quietly?
Now Pine is lutino,there are like 80% lutino girls and 20% boys-thats because to produce a lutino girl all that is needed-father who carries lutino split. Does Coco whistle,open whings in a shape of heart,bang with his beak on the cage? I have never seen female mounting male.. Most likely they are both males where Pine is dominant and Coco submissive. Thats why I asked if they make sounds during mating..cause 2 males will do it quietly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well during mating they don't make sounds but usually Coco tries to mount Pine first, he gets unsuccesfull then Pine gets pissed off and bites his foot. Also I had 2 more cockatiels before, one of them was mounting Pine succesfully but Pine was 6 months old back then so I am not sure what is going on.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi there, beautiful birds! It sounds like you have two males! When one male mounts another it can mean they are trying to assert their dominance over the other bird.

You need to take away any nest boxes they have access to because hormones can turn them aggressive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.