Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my bird out of the cage and while I was lowering my hand to get him to step down on the ground, he jumped off my finger and landed I think hard on the floor, maybe he hit his tail too with a drawer nearby, I'm not sure about that. His butt area is all red and I can't shower because it's bed time in like 2 hours. The bleeding seems to stop but I'm very scared for his health. However he seems to be ok, he's still preening, moving, eating, etc
I will shower asap next morning.

I want to ask, why does my bird jump backwards and lands on his tail/butt most of the time? Wings are clipped sadly since I bought him not long ago.
Those jumping backwards I fear this is damaging his body, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The jumping backwards is due to his tail. He really can't help it because he falls back without the wings to balance him out.

Can you check to see if there are any broken feathers that are causing the bleeding?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both wings are clipped.

I can't really tell whether it's a feather or not, hard to see and won't let me grab him so I could see deep. I just finished a shower, I put the bird in a half inch water bowl but there's still red.

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
It's best not to use water on a bird that is bleeding or stopped bleeding very recently. Using water can cause more bleeding because it interferes with clotting. He seems to be OK now, so it's best to let him take care of himself. A lot of the dried blood will flake off naturally, and you can give him a bath after he's had time to heal. In the meantime, try to be careful with him so he doesn't re-injure himself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see. I just hope there's no broken feather, the bird is nearly 3 months old now. I had to shower to remove blood on the feathers a bit and it was the second ever bath.
I'm always extreme cautious with my birds, I just can't help it when out of nowhere he/she just fly or jump off my finger backwards and accidently hits itself somewhere upon landing on hard wood floor or something. The bird can't just keep standing on my finger or a perch so that I guess could explain those jumps.

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
A broken feather usually isn't dangerous unless it's a blood feather. A blood feather is a new feather that's just growing in, and it has a blood supply that helps with feather growth. When a blood feather gets broken it's difficult for the blood to clot inside the tube of the quill, and there's a risk that the bird can bleed to death. It's best to pull broken blood feathers out. Once the feather is fully grown this blood supply goes away, so you don't have this risk with a mature feather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts