Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

It's been awhile since I've been on, so I'll do a quick update.

We adopted an 8yr old tiel over six years ago, and he was our only bird child..i.e. spoiled. When we adopted Niko he was 1/2 of a surrendered pair - the female was adopted out already.

Fast forward 6 years and a tiel literally flew into our lives. A friend had it land on her deck and we were called because we have a cockatiel already. Before I would bring her(?) in and possibly make our boy sick, I took her to the avian vet. The vet thinks she's a female pied, and estimates she was "in the wild" for at least a week, if not for a month or more. Seriously malnourished and no muscle mass. Gave us 2 weeks of antibiotics just in case. We posted found fliers everywhere, with no owners coning forward, so she joined our family.

We kept her in a separate room for 2 weeks, as per the vet's suggestion, but they were so upset because they knew of each other and she's an incredible flyer so she would fly over his cage and get everyone crazy. Niko can "fly" -mainly into things. We do plan on getting her wings clipped because she flew to our foyer window 27ft up and decided to chill. Not good. At the next check we're having that done.

Anyway, as per an aviary recommendation, we put their cages next to each other and let them meet. The first thing Niko did was wolf whistle at Nugget. LOL. During this time Niko has become nasty to us - hissing and such when Nugget is near. Nugget is sweet and cuddly, and doesn't want anything to do with Niko. When we finally let them share a millet branch on the playset, Nugget (who is twice the size of little Niko) stood on his tail feathers and grabbed at his wing with her feet. He didn't appreciate that.

I guess my questions are many: 1.) If Nugget is a girl, can they even be out together or will they mate? I have kids and dogs, I don't need anymore beings to care for! 2.) How do I know if they will get along? What should I let happen, and what should I stop? Will they have spats then get over it? 3.) We want our happy spoiled boy back, not this angry boy. Will it always be this way? :(

Well, I've rambled enough. Thanks in advance!

Leigh

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't butcher her wings. So what if she flew to a window 27 feet up? Let her be. She is in a new house, she needs a place to call her own. She'll come down when she gets hungry.

Your male bird is just excited to have a female around, things will calm down after a while.

For birdie birth control try having only one out of a cage at a time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for reply.

I don't like clipping wings, and if we had a quiet home and it was just two of us, we wouldn't but it isn't safe for her to be fully flighted at this time.

We have a very busy house, with teenagers coming and going constantly and dogs needing out all the time. Our birds are in the living room with us next to the porch door and easy access to the front door. Every time doors open I worry she'll fly out. We're careful, but we have lots of company coming and going at all hours. Safest for Nugget to be clipped and live with us out of her cage at times, than to be kept in her cage all the time.

My guess is she flew away from the previous owners, and we were able to save her from starvation and death. I don't want it to happen again. For now, for her safety and her freedom, she'll need to be clipped. We haven't clipped Niko for 5 years because he doesn't fly much, just to his playset, the bay window, and big cage, but he can fly. She however will fly anywhere and everywhere in our house. Too scary right now. One door not shut in time and she'll be gone. I don't want that, and I doubt you want that either.

If it was just flying to the 27ft window and we didn't have teens coming and going through the door directly below said window, I wouldn't care, but sadly we do and the risk is too high. And I don't want to take that risk.

Kind regards,
Leigh

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
If you think it's best to clip her, then that's the best thing to do. Some people can be very judgmental on the subject of clipping, but it's a very individual decision and you have to do what's best for your situation. You're planning to have the vet do it and they ought to do it right. It won't be a "butcher" job.

It's possible that they won't be compatible enough to form a pair bond, but if you want to you can let them spend some time together to see what happens. It's possible that Nugget is a well-loved bird-child who is totally socialized to humans and not interested in having a mate. Niko had a mate before so he knows what it's like to have one, and is obviously interested in her.

There are simple hormone control techniques that are effective on most cockatiels: https://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330 If you want to use them on Niko right now, it will help him "cool his jets" and not act so crazy when his new love interest is nearby. These techniques will also come in handy later on if they do form a pair bond and you don't want babies.

If they don't get along well enough to live in the same cage, you can keep them in separate cages. In any case they will form a flock bond with each other, and won't want to be too far apart even if they also don't want to be too close together.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Just keep in mind that wing clipping (proper wing clipping anyway, if clipped too short they will drop like a rock and hurt themselves) doesn't mean that they can't fly, it means that the can glide a certain distance without gaining height. So clipped or unclipped, an open door is still a danger. A clipped bird can be carried by a breeze out the door and away.

I'm sure you are very careful when you have your 'tiels out of their cages though. For starters, short periods of supervised time out of the cage together. Watch their behaviour and movements towards each other. It will take some time for them to sort out if they like each other or not. Your male is being nasty because your female has spiked his hormones... Hopefully he will calm down with a bit of hormone control (info on that in the Sticky Library).

Thank you so much for saving her! Please keep us updated and let us know how she is doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.