Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tiel was clipped at the first sight of flight feathers, and I want my tiel to be able to fly. He is 8 weeks old on thursday which is when I'll be able to bring him home from the pet shop fully weaned. I have been with him every day they are open taking him out of his cage and interacting for an hour or two. He has glided twice with me there. I dont want him to hurt himself. I've seen videos on putting two perches near each other and slowly moving one a little bit away once they're comfortable with the distance. I dont know if that is the right process to take. Is there any videos or guides or information you know of about teaching a tiel who was clipped during fledging to fly safely?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think what your mentioned will work. Even wing clipped, cockatiel still can fly short distance. I would like only suggest instead of second perch, you can use your hand as second perch, so, your bird will fly to you. When, your bird does this, give him a treat. This way, he will learn fly and recall at the same time. You can call his name when do this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, my plan was to get him comfortable with a stable perch to perch before I start incorporating my hand next to the perch **** jump to

·
Registered
283 Posts
If I was you, I will focusing on recall training, fly to the hand instead of fly to another perch. This is very beneficial since you want him flight. In case of accidentally release to outside, you have a better chance to recover him. And recall training will enable you and him to form stronger bond

1 - 4 of 4 Posts