Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Travis less than a week ago from a breeder who hand feed weaned and tamed him. I am a first time mom so when I asked what to buy to feed him she told me he has been on white millet and spray millet. Well after much research I realize he needs mostly veggies some fruits and few seeds. I am having a horrible time getting him to eat any form of veg fruit chop mix I give him. He only want his seed mix. Last with my nutribullet I broke down mustard greens spinach oranges apples cornmeal. I spread it into a square sheet covered the top with his seed mix and froze it. Then this morning I cut them into little square brownie like servings to keep in the freezer. I have him the first one this morning thinking he would start to pick the seeds off the top and get to veggies and end up eating it. Nope. I don't want him to starve but I also want him to eat the best diet. What can I'd do? I'm also having flight issues as he came with his wings clipped but still is always looking for higher ground and he can get pretty far. He's still trying to fly and knocking into Walls and always trying to get to higher ground. any tips would be appreciated I attached some pics of him and and what I'm trying to feed him.
Dog Cloud Comfort Dog breed Jaw

Bird Cockatoo Cockatiel Beak Parrot

Food Tableware Recipe Ingredient Baked goods

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got Travis less than a week ago from a breeder who hand feed weaned and tamed him. I am a first time mom so when I asked what to buy to feed him she told me he has been on white millet and spray millet. Well after much research I realize he needs mostly veggies some fruits and few seeds. I am having a horrible time getting him to eat any form of veg fruit chop mix I give him. He only want his seed mix. Last with my nutribullet I broke down mustard greens spinach oranges apples cornmeal. I spread it into a square sheet covered the top with his seed mix and froze it. Then this morning I cut them into little square brownie like servings to keep in the freezer. I have him the first one this morning thinking he would start to pick the seeds off the top and get to veggies and end up eating it. Nope. I don't want him to starve but I also want him to eat the best diet. What can I'd do? I'm also having flight issues as he came with his wings clipped but still is always looking for higher ground and he can get pretty far. He's still trying to fly and knocking into Walls and always trying to get to higher ground. any tips would be appreciated I attached some pics of him and and what I'm trying to feed him. View attachment 95629
View attachment 95628
View attachment 95630
First of all, i have to say he is adorable, second if all i would highly suggest you dont have your dog and parrot at the same space because you never know if the dog will want to hunt the bird, and as he cant fly he wont be able to escape. Now for the diet take it easy, you cant change his diet over night. Make him a chop and put only little with his seed mix, slowly increasing the amount of veggies but do that slowly because cockatiels are very picky eaters. You can also try to give him more variety in his food, without him even realising it, for example, adding some dried fruits and pellets inside of his seed mix. All that in small portions at first of course and slowly increase. About him hitting the walls, i dont have much to suggest as his wings are clipped, yoy cant do anything ither than to wait. After his feathers are grown he should have learnt the distance and he should be banging against them less. I hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts