Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am used to putting food back to cage after cleaned it at night. However, she keeps hiding under the table and I need to chase her back to cage with all light switched off. It is not only tiring but also losing trust with her. I am very desperate on stressing her like this.

I've tried different methods, such as putting treat in the cage, and making track on treat toward the cage. However, they don't work either. What can I do without scaring her?:(

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Have you tried getting her to step up onto a perch, or perch like object? At first my guy would ride a bamboo spoon handle because it resembled a perch, and I walked slowly. He'd also step up onto the perch of his food dish for the same purpose. Even knowing he could go in as he wanted, his bedtime ritual was to go to the top of his cage, wait for scritches, then step up on his food dish as I held it, so I could put him in.

I understand your frustration, but as you said, chasing loses trust. It will take time and patience, but it is a matter of finding what works for her.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried different kinds of perches (plastic one, wood one or one in T shape). She is still scared and run away. Therefore, one of ways other than chasing her is put the cage near the furniture she is hiding.

BTW, is it good to sit next to cage after she returns to the cage, in order not to stress her by the loneliness?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.