Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this can't just be normal noises, it's so loud and constant. They will go for hours at a time and in that time they only stop to eat. My neighbours are going to complain and I live in a complex so I'll have to get rid of them! Help!
I haven't been giving them as much attention as I have a very small house and the inside is taken by a newbie in quarantine so I can't bring them in. They are living under the patio in the day and in the store room at night because the cars give them night frights. What can I do? I have another month before they can come in during the day with the new one!
Ones a male so if course he is louder but will he settle down as he gets older? He's 5 months-ish. If so, how long til he quiets down?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are they just calling you loudly or they are screaming like a banshee ? I found if mine are kept busy with food/toys/wild birds that are flying past they dont tend to make much noise.

you can also let them listen to radio, or watch TV from the outside if possible.

Or you can put the newbie outside for a day, and let the other two in, maybe they dont like being kept out whilst the new guy seem to be getting more of your attention

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Also try reducing the amount of light they're getting to about 10 hours a day. Some birds will scream if they're over tired or their hormones start kicking in :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They scream like someone's trying to kill them mixed with some pleasant but ridiculously loud regular chirping. Honestly it's just like they are trying to be as loud as they possibly can all the time. I've never heard any other cockatiels as loud as the boy gets and I've seen a lot of them! I had to cover them up today whilst they were outside which I hate doing because at night I put them in the storeroom and that has no windows, I leave the light on for them so they don't get scared but I feel like they really need their time outdoors with sunlight and things to look at! I doubt they are overtired, they would be getting more sleep than usual now that they are sleeping in the storeroom. It could very well be hormones though as I think they are about that age? Right?
As for putting the newbie outside and bringing them in, is their issues regarding the possible contamination of the areas? Say, will my old birds possibly get sick from being in the room where the new bird if questionable health has been housed?
This morning Alfie (the loud male) was doing heart wings to me, first time I've seen him do it, from his cage and squarking so I think it may be hormones and attention seeking

·
Registered
309 Posts
My young male is also very loud at times but is easily distracted by me giving him branches to chew. My older male has quietened down. He is about 9 months now. If your birds are used to living inside, that is probably making them worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts