Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Hope all r doing fine. My cinnamon birdie named Precious loves to eat from our hands. He seldom comes down to eat himself, if he's not properly fed, if he feels hungry, only then he comes down to eat. That's why I put one of his food bawls in the level of the perch so that he can have his food without any hassle. He seemed very happy and he started to eat from there immediately.

But that very evening I found him sitting on the bowl and sleeping, I put him back on the perch, but he went back again on the bowl and he seemed comfortable sitting there.

I'm thinking of making a wood/hardboard - made platform type of thing for him to sleep in, any IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS ??

Waiting for your precious help once again

Regards

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
There's nothing wrong with him sleeping on the food bowl if its comfortable. Mine do it all the time, I just clean it out in the morning and put fresh food in it. He may not see the ledge as a place to sleep but as a place to poop so I don't know how well that would work. They like to sleep up high so that's why he's chosen the food bowl. If you don't want him to sleep in it just move it back down.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Both of mine went through brief phases where they slept in the food bowl, and then they moved on.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
My tiel seems to rotate where he sleeps- sometime the back perch, sometimes the food dish, sometimes the water dish. I do what roxy culver does, just clean whichever out in the morning.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Daisy does not sleep on the food bowl, she just poops in it sometimes. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
My baby Hope does that a lot... SOme people say it reminds them of their nest comfort.

It's annoying to have to clean the bowls up.. Specially whens he decided the one she's at isnt comfortable enough and she decides to move to another, getting 2 bowsl dirty in one night, lol.

But it's normal and there's nothing much to be done about it except clean it in the morning and change the food. I usually put less food in a specific bows she seems to have as favorite, and leave an extra bowl on the cage floor; so I can just wipe it and put a little more food on her bed-bowl in the morning.

If you try to make somethign for her to sleep on, make sure you DONT use a nest (those usually for smaller birds). Specially rope ones. There's a risk their feet get stuck in the rope divisions. Also make sure it's something easy to clean... Since you know what's gonna happen :) And remember even if u make somethign for her to sleep on, she may just go back to the bowl :D Happened to me on other cases... You make a toy so they stop destroying their water bowl, and they ignore the toy and go back to what they were destroying before.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My baby Hope does that a lot... SOme people say it reminds them of their nest comfort.

It's annoying to have to clean the bowls up.. Specially whens he decided the one she's at isnt comfortable enough and she decides to move to another, getting 2 bowsl dirty in one night, lol.

But it's normal and there's nothing much to be done about it except clean it in the morning and change the food. I usually put less food in a specific bows she seems to have as favorite, and leave an extra bowl on the cage floor; so I can just wipe it and put a little more food on her bed-bowl in the morning.

If you try to make somethign for her to sleep on, make sure you DONT use a nest (those usually for smaller birds). Specially rope ones. There's a risk their feet get stuck in the rope divisions. Also make sure it's something easy to clean... Since you know what's gonna happen :) And remember even if u make somethign for her to sleep on, she may just go back to the bowl :D Happened to me on other cases... You make a toy so they stop destroying their water bowl, and they ignore the toy and go back to what they were destroying before.
Thank you so much. :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest, I just love cleaning my baby's cage, food bowl, water bowl - everything :D
So there's no hassle for me cleaning up the food bowl every morning, what I wanted to know whether he feels uncomfortable up there & I could make his place a little-bit more comfortable. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
my cockatiel will only sleep on her water bowl. Then in the morning, she poops in it. I clean it out and leave her in her cage for about an hour after she wakes up so she can play and eat and drink but she only drinks water outside of her cage. She refuses to drink out of that bowl. She is molting and I've only had her for about 3-4 months and we are very bonded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.