Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The babies are just starting to try to fly. They were fine for a long time but I noticed maybe a week ago that one was completely bald on the top of her head, now the other one is bald, I see the mother plucking .... what are my options ... ?????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The father was not plucking, yesterday I separated the mother, this morning the father was feeding a baby. Good. Then, the father started plucking. Bad. Now I've separated both. I'm trying to hand feed. The first effort was bad, one fought like ****, the other just fought. Neither was interested in the few drops of food I got in their mouths. The second time was better in that there was no biting and it was relatively peaceful, but still little to no interest in the food. Today I had a supervised visit with the mom, and she went immediately to pecking. The birds look awful. If I can manage to get some food in them I assume all will be OK, and I'm also hoping that when they get hungry enough they'll eat the formula. It a pins and needles situation.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Okay, so you will most likely have to continue with the hand feeding because the parents will continue to pluck the babies bald if you leave them with the parents. I had left my chick in with the parents until at four weeks old, the father started plucking his head and then the mother soon after. My only other choice was to handfeed. I'm not sure how old your chicks are but when I fed mine, it was horrible because he kept trying to escape, and it was a struggle to get the food in. Thankfully by day three, he growled for it and accepted that I was his new mom. So at first, it will probably be quite the challenge but if you persist, then it will most definitely be worth the struggle in the end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts