Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a medium sized sebaceous looking cyst on chico today. it is right behind the first layers of his crest closest to his nares. what is it and will it go away? i cant afford another vet visit :( its a new thing with him everyday and im mentally exhausted. please tell me it will go away on its own or if i can do something myself to remove it. ive attached a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Looks like a feather cyst to me. You should be able to lance it with a sterile needle. Don't go deep, just open the skin enough to remove the ingrown feather material, the same way you'd remove an ingrown hair or a shallow splinter on yourself. Then pull out the feather material and it should heal fine. I do this all the time on my girl who plucks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then pull out the feather material and it should heal fine. I do this all the time on my girl who plucks.

when you say pull out the feather do you mean remove it completely from his skin or remove it from the cyst debris?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Remove it completely. It's dead by now and probably isn't even attached at the follicle. Usually when I lance a cyst, the feather just comes out with basically no effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts