Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a five year old female pearl. Have had her a few months now. She has been tamed for the past few months and we have grown quite bonded - she even started giving kisses last week! The past two days though, she has seemed like a completely different bird! She comes out every morning and eats her breakfast on top of her cage, but now when I try to get her out, she hisses and bites - she hasn't bitten since I first brought her home so this is NOT her nature. When I do get her out, she squawks until I put her back. She has a new pin feather coming in under her wing and I thought that might be what's bothering her - but then she was sitting on my shoulder (she does all the time) and she started fluffing up and attacking my face in an aggressive manner.

*She has been eating and drinking just fine and her stools are normal.

Is this hormones? What should I do? Will this behavior decrease? I miss my sweet girl :(

I will be taking her to the vet of course, just wanted opinions <3

·
Registered
786 Posts
It sounds pretty hormonal to me. You can try covering her for 12-14 hours at night to see if that calms her down. It needs to be very dark, so make sure you cover her so that no light comes into her cage. It should pass fairly soon- covering her like that simulates shorter days, so she won't think its the right time to nest. You will have her back, don't worry :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Don't worry, she is just hormonal. My Sunny also becomes very aggressive every time she lays a clutch of eggs but afterwards she always goes back to normal as if nothing ever happened. During the egg-laying, she would be so aggressive you would not believe it. The biting, hissing, attacking....I'm telling you, she would act like she wants me dead. :wacko: But once it is over, she just reverts back to a sweet little girl with not even a "sorry". :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe try giving her AviCalm. I recently started giving it to my male tiel because he was getting aggressive when unprovoked, and he has calmed down considerably. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts