Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, ok here goes.. Ive had Wing-a-Ding for about 2 months now. She is a yellow cockatiel with red cheeks and a bald spot on top of her head. She was "rescued" from a couple that kept her (in what I think) a small cage for 15 yrs in the garage with no companion and no interaction with anyone or any other animal. She has never been out of her cage and is totally anti social. This is some of the things I have done to get her aclimated to our home. For the first 3 weeks she was very quiet and I know was distraught about the move and being in unfamiliar surroundings. I live in Az and this has been a real hot summer so I did what I could. We made a nice solis base for her cage. Yes the same one she has been in for 15 yrs. I figured we can take baby steps to see if she will be able to eventually be transferred to a bigger cage. The first couple of days I couldnt figure out how to get her to be outside for fresh air and sunlight without toasting her in az heat. So on the 3rd day I decided that I would take her cage and put it on the cool porch in the early morning til about 10:30 am when the temp would reach about 80-85 degrees then I would take her back to her spot inside (its in the hallway directly opposite to 2 huge sliding glass doors) til about 6 pm then I would take her back outside til dark. (about 8-8:30 ish.) It was on the 4th day when I read an article from this forum about cockatiels liking to be misted. I went to the pet store. (50 miles from my home) and bought a sprayer with a fine mist and to her delight and mine found out she adored being misted!! She will actually bow down so I can get every part of her back and will lift her chin so I can spry under there too!! She spreads her winds and waits patiently for me to mist them top and bottom. When shes had enough she will stand up real straight and give me the look. I know that me enough! She preens and grooms herself very deligently not missing anywhere. I sit outside in the evenings in my craft room which is just a few feet from her and I will whistle all kinds of songs to her. At first she said and did nothing and I felt so so sad for all those years of non communication! But now she whistles back at me and paticularly loves when I whistle the Andy Griffith song. She bobs her head up and down and is just so cute!! I have a few questions... Does it hurt their feet when they walk across the wire bottom and is it normal for them not to eat any cut up (real small) fruits or veggies? I cant get her to eat anything fresh at all! Is it because she was never given any? Her cage is 18 in × 18 in × 18 in. is that small for 1 bird. ok enough for now. I will appreciate any input on things ive done or not done. My thanks, Valerie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am a newbie myself, we adopted a bonded pair from a rescue a month ago, but I believe that cage is too small. Ours is 24*22*70, we have lots of wood perches and toys (nothing they seem to like so far except to chew the ladder) but from the research I did they need more room. I had a tiel 20 yrs ago and things have changed but introducing fresh food can be hard and we are still trying. I have heard they don't like fruit much but usually like broccoli but every bird is different. Best of luck and thanks for giving this bird a new home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts