Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one. New here little story my cockatiel which i had since she was only 3days old passed away a month ago. A egg got stuck and she didnt make it. I didnt want any new birds but i recently was given one. I didnt think i was ready but she/he kind of looks like my baby that is in bird heaven. So i just want to know what she/he is and maybe what sx it is. The person that gave it to mw said that that he was told it was a male. But i think the cockatiel is only a couple months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
What a beautiful baby! It is a pearl pied so if it is a hen she will keep her pearls whereas a male will start losing his from the first moult. It is so sad to lose a feathered baby, hope this little treasure helps fill the void

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yep, pearl pied. Very pretty.

Off topic but are those urates greenish instead of white? Or did they just dry a different colour?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It may be a pearl pied or a pearl split pied. Check the wings and tail for solid white/yellow feathers. Pearl feathers have a black root, those are not what you're looking for. Pied feathers will not have a black root, will be white/yellow throughout the whole thing. If this bird has a feather like this it is pied, if not it is split pied.

Its most likely a hen but if only a couple months old, it will be impossible to tell without a (possibly) family mutation history or a DNA test. I always suggest everybody wait an find out than shell out the money.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Sometimes behavior will give a clue as to gender too, if it is very vocal, wolf whistling, trying to copy your whistles, trying to talk it is likely a male, if only has one or 2 whistles or contact calls, it is most likely a female... However this is not 100%accurate, you can have a quiet male or a vocal female.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts