Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help hair caught on foot of old miserable bastard bird who thinks I'm trying to kill him I've been able to remove most of it. He's old and the previous people who he was with had kids and didn't raise him right so he's miserable hates everything. Thinks somebody is trying to kill him or tries to kill somebody. travel to the vet would be extra stressful and he's already had this injury for a day. is there anything I can do to slightly sedate him just so I can get him calm enough to remove the rest of the string or hair. He's always aggressive, not just now tried towel over face. Didn't go well. He's old 10ish and I want him to live out his life peacefully...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry, I do not have an answer, save a perhaps costly consult w/ an avian vet. I DO, however, admire your wilingness and love to give this one of a kind (in the universe!) creature the love and attention he deserves. No matter how cranky. Love will find a way. Peace to you.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You posted 3 days ago so my answer is quite late, but 10 years old is really not an old age for a cockatiel - there isn't a way to sedate him yourself in any case. He needs a vet who can safely restrain him and remove the hair before the foot and/or bird dies. Attempting this yourself will likely cause additional injury or suffocation if you hold him improperly. I hope you have been able to have the hair removed by now though.

Birds who have been mistreated in the past (such as my Percy) can become loving pets over time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.