Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i haven't been on here in awhile. i am not sure what section to post this in so i am posting here hoping to be redirected or to have the post moved to where it needs to be.

I am currently near pittsburgh PA and i am looking for a male tiel to give my girl a buddy. i just recently found out she is a girl because she won't stop laying eggs ( i finally made her a nest so she can fake care for them lol) always had suspicions that she was a girl because she does not sing or talk at all. she only flock calls.

if anyone knows of anyone in my area that is wanting to give up a 1-2 year old male tiel or has any baby males. id love to be in contact. she used to have a buddy but sadly he was older and passed.

:) hope to hear from someone soon :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I'm just curious but why do you want to get her a male friend? A friend will not make her stop laying eggs, if that's what you think. A friend might actually make her lay more. Right now, I would focus on stopping the egg laying first. Have you tried any form of hormone control?

The best site I've found for finding baby tiels or tiels in general was ebayclassifieds.com. It's way better than craigslist and I've found some really nice people on there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i specifically said male just because her friend from before was a male and i loved when he used to sing. the females seem to be less likely to do that. she hardly makes any noise at all. and she hasn't been as friendly since he passed away. i think she misses having a buddy. she is just under 2 years old. and its her first round of eggs. she has only laid 4 and hasn't had one in 3 days since i gave her a nest. she cares for them now. so i kinda took it as she is adjusting to something new. she will be 2 in jan.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
OK so it's not that she won't stop laying eggs (four is a normal clutch size) it's just that she's laying. Laying hens and nesting hens tend to be less people friendly because they are defending their nests and babies. Since you have a single hen, I would definitely look into hormone control to get her to stop laying. http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330 this sticky here will give you some good tips on how to go about that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it wouldn't be bad to get her a new friend though, would it? cause i really want another one haha

·
Registered
786 Posts
A new friend would be fine, however she may not take to him, so that is something you may have to be prepared for. You cannot cage them together or you will have babies- and you will have to watch them out of the cage, or they can mate then too. Taking on the task of babies is very hard, and there are many bumps along the way. It shouldn't be undertaken unless you are prepared to take over for the parents if they do not take care of the chicks. That alone can be heartbreaking as there are many perils they can face, even with the best of care. Here is another good sticky to read about that: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=27860 At any rate, I hope you find the perfect tiel for her. I know how you feel about a male - I had babies DNA'd to make sure it was a male- l love their singing and talking, and general character. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts