Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had 2 young birds die within probably a month of each other. I'm hoping itisn't contagious and maybe you have some ideas. I have four birds left. The two that died were 5 and 2 and were father and son. I have a female 5, a female 8, a male 10, and a male 28. The birds that died had been sitting on the floor of the cage the night before passing. Each a little fluffed up and wouldn't move. No emergency vet for exotics here but by morning both had passed. Food and water kept fresh and cage so is cage. No change in stool. No noticeable weight loss. It seems like one day they were healthy. Then lethargic at night. Then dead by morning. I can't understand why the younger ones would succumb to a contagious illness while the older ones wouldn't. The food was also changed between Alex's passing and his son AJ's passing. I'm stumped and scared for my other birds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I don't think any one will be able to tell you why with such vague symptoms. Your best bet would be to have a vet do a necropsy if another one (God forbid) gets sick and dies. So sorry you lost 2 of your buddies but hopefully whatever it is has run it's course and your other birds are safe... Keep a close eye on them for anything unusual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The EXACT same thing happened to our first ever Cockatiel. We picked him up from the breeder on a Friday. He was 4 months old exactly..... a week later, on the Friday he was sleeping alot... then that night he was sitting on his food dish sleeping and I found him at 4:30am, Saturday morning dead.

We didnt do a necropsy but I wish we had of had the money to do one... I am terrified the same thing will happen to the next one......

·
Registered
878 Posts
Can you have an avian vet run some bloodwork and stool examinations on the surviving birds even though they appear to be healthy, despite the expense? Maybe something is infecting them that is present and causing no visible symptoms until it overtakes them causing sudden death. You already know that you don't get sufficient warning by observing symptoms when they strike, so maybe some testing in advance would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I had the exact same problem this year with four of my birds. They would be normal up until the day they died. It was frustrating :( Four dead in 2 months.

Here's hoping the rest of your buddies are okay....

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Normal vets can do all the same tests that an exotic vet can...and if they don't understand the results they can consult with a university. That's what my vet did in WA. I had a necropsy done after losing several birds and the vet consulted with someone at the University of WA to figure out the issue. A wellness check up can't hurt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts