Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some quick advice. My 2 year old single female Cockatiel has slowly started to become a bit of a chronic egg layer. As soon as she was old enough to, she laid her first clutch (her clutch size is 4). After the usual 21 days she left them and was fine to move on. Her second clutch was in the spring and she seemed to leave that clutch behind fine as well but exactly a month after she'd laid her first egg for that one she laid the first egg for a 3rd clutch. I read that sometimes they do this if a clutch doesn't hatch so I wasn't too worried but as soon as she left that clutch I re-arranged my entire room and changed her cage location (and she didn't lay any more all summer). Of course I can't keep re-arranging my room and I don't have another room to move her to otherwise I'd try that.

This September she laid her 4th clutch and before she even left that one (about 21 days later) she laid a 5th. She started caring less about both clutches a week ago so I got ready to take them. I finally did a few days ago and took out the bowl she was using as a nest. I also began the "long night" treatment (8 hours of daylight only). The very next night she laid an egg (which means she had been preparing to start a 6th clutch and was already started when I took the nest). It was broken so I tossed it and just hoped that she laid it because she had to (which she did) but that she would not lay anymore now that her nest was gone. I went ahead and ordered some Harrison's Releaves just in case as I wanted to give that treatment a chance before resorting to a vet visit for a lupron shot. I thought we were in the clear today as she should have laid one late last night or this morning (if she was to lay another) but I went somewhere tonight and came back to an egg on the cage floor. It was also broken (really it was fine but it was stuck to the cage bars and my attempts to gently pull it away broke it) so I threw it out. All of her eggs have looked healthy and she's never had problems laying them (she's young and healthy) but I still worry because that's what I do. I have some fake eggs that I've had success with before (just to replace broken ones, I have not yet tried adding one every time she lays an egg to see if she will lay less), because she's readily accepted them as hers, so I have two options I'm weighing over right now.

1) I can give her nest back with two of the fake eggs in it and let her lay the last two and try the Releaves once she is done with this clutch (and hope she doesn't attempt to lay a 7th before giving up on this one).

2) I can wait and see if she lays a third egg (which, to be honest, I feel like she might because she's hanging around the part of her cage her nest bowl used to be) and try to give her the fake eggs then and hope she isn't less likely to accept them after another two days has passed with none of her "eggs" in sight. Then if she doesn't lay a third one I can start the Releaves or if she does I can take the third egg too and do the Releaves thing (though I'm not sure if it's effective to do it while she's still laying eggs), or I can let her lay on the clutch at that point (hoping she doesn't lay more than a fourth egg to finish the clutch) and do the treatment when she's left them.

I'm leaning towards option 1 at the moment but wanted to get some thoughts. I have already moved her toys around (taken some out and put some new ones in etc.) but it doesn't ever seem to phase her anymore. I know it can take a week for the "long night" treatment to start working but if she's laying on her nest is it even effective and if I keep taking her eggs will it have the chance to work or will it still fail?

If the Releaves treatment (whenever I get to use it) doesn't work, I'm going to have to take her to the vet for a shot I probably can't afford. :/ Anyway, I'd like thoughts from anyone who happens to be on right now. If option 1 is the best for now I need to put that bowl back in before I go to bed. Or I can just put the dummy eggs on a washcloth on the bottom of the cage where she dropped them (she laid them from her perch) until I can put the bowl back in the morning.

Thanks! I know Totoro would love the help too...or maybe she'll hate it because she wants those eggs so bad. :wf cinnamon:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi, sorry I can't help but my Peppy is exactly the same. I have started with the false eggs and it seems to be helping a bit. She is coming out more for exercise and food. To be honest, this is the norm now and in between clutches is only about 6-7 days. She is healthy and if I think she needs a break I get her out and give her a warm bath. I cover her up at 7pm till 7.30am.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
What are her sleep hours like? I had a flock of twelve and they only laid when I wanted them to. I had them on 13 hours of darkness a night and I was always moving their cage around the room so they couldn't get comfortable. The idea is to make them think it's winter and not the right time to breed. It's hard to do in our babies, but check this out: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330 and see if it helps at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What are her sleep hours like? I had a flock of twelve and they only laid when I wanted them to. I had them on 13 hours of darkness a night and I was always moving their cage around the room so they couldn't get comfortable. The idea is to make them think it's winter and not the right time to breed. It's hard to do in our babies, but check this out: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330 and see if it helps at all.
Right now I have her sleeping 16 hours a night (8 hours of daylight) and usually she gets at least 12 hours a night when I'm not simulating "winter"...which I feel like I shouldn't have to considering it's pretty much winter now ha ha. but I don't have the luxury of moving her cage around unfortunately because doing so would mean re-arranging my entire room constantly and there's only so many places to put her as I have two outside walls and windows so there are only two walls I can put her against and one is taken up by my bed and my giant desk. I have tried to re-arrange her cage and taking her extra bowl/nest but she still laid 2 eggs after I took it. I also reduced the amount of pellets in her food bowl. I have heard that it can take a week to shut down the egg production so it's possible the long nights are actually working it just won't take full effect until a week or so has passed and by then she will have laid all 4 of her eggs. I guess I can hold out hope that she won't sit on them. For now I haven't replaced the nest, they are just sitting on a washcloth on the cage floor where she laid them from her perch above and she hasn't tried to sit on them yet (she usually sits on them from the very first egg, she isn't one to ignore them until they are all laid).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi, sorry I can't help but my Peppy is exactly the same. I have started with the false eggs and it seems to be helping a bit. She is coming out more for exercise and food. To be honest, this is the norm now and in between clutches is only about 6-7 days. She is healthy and if I think she needs a break I get her out and give her a warm bath. I cover her up at 7pm till 7.30am.
How long has that been going on? That seems excessive. I'm glad she's still healthy. Now I'm worried about her too ha ha. I've read that they can appear to be healthy for years but then it eventually takes a toll and they start to have problems (which is why I worry about Totoro so much, for now she is healthy and I never want that to change). Have you considered taking her to an avian vet? Also, how do you use the eggs? I just bought some better dummy eggs for Totoro and I've never used them to control her egg laying before so I was curious how you do it and how successful it is. I've only ever used them to replace broken eggs before.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news! She never laid a third egg. I guess removing her nest worked it just took a few days for her hormones to go down and her egg production to come to a hault. I still have some new dummy eggs and the releaves in case it becomes necessary down the road. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts