Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today when I uncovered Chicken, she was all fluffed up:( and didn't stretch good morning to me:confused:. She looked very tierd and when I offerd her, her favorite treats, she rejected them:eek:! That is when i knew something is wrong. She drank water but so far refused her treats and won't eat her food:eek:. I need "AT HOME" advice to help her. I already put her in a room where i work with a space heater on nice and toasty. I have two windows open (meaning the blinds are over) so she can see out. I am not sure what else to do at home.

The reason I don't want to take her to the vet is because I hate all vets here. They traumatized one of my other birds in the past, and ultimately killed him:cry: I want advice to help her today to make her recover. Please help!

~Skye

·
Registered
96 Posts
How's little chicken doing Skye? Maybe she just didn't sleep well or she's just feeling blue so it's a kinda false alarm? I'm kinda used on Kanas mood swings to be honest that's why I'm asking :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I kept her in a 80 degree room all day, at first, nothing, she had pure clear droppings, and wouldn't eat her favorite treats that she loves. I don't think it was a mood swing. She never acted like that for the 3 years of owning her. It has been hours since she ate, didn't eat anything all day, just through treats out of her mouth when I offered them. Fluffed up and eyes closed, napping all day. :cry::(

But at 3:30 today p.m. she woke up a little and ate a few treats! Then she napped, ate some more treats. I removed the treats and she went to the food bowl!!! I'm so happy she is recovering! My local bird expert told me that my house was too cold regularly and I needed it to be at least 74 degrees every day. Mine got to 70 sometimes 69 degrees. I am so happy it was resolved!:D

Thanks for the concern,
~Skye

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
We usually keep our place at 66 - 68 in the winter, and Joey does just fine. This apartment is fabulously insulated and it feels very comfortable at that temp. Any higher and the heating bill would be insane during the cold months. In the summer we keep it about 73, to keep air conditioning bills from being insane.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is great to hear! While humans can tolerate low temperatures (I personally cannot - I was hospitalized last winter due to a common cold which lingered too long due to cold house & workplace temps), birds cannot and will rapidly decline. There's a reason cave people invented fire. Don't let the advice of fiscal conservatives kill your parrot. 66f will be too low as your bird gets older, and once you find out at what age that is, it will probably be too late.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We usually keep our place at 66 - 68 in the winter, and Joey does just fine. This apartment is fabulously insulated and it feels very comfortable at that temp. Any higher and the heating bill would be insane during the cold months. In the summer we keep it about 73, to keep air conditioning bills from being insane.
Well I understand that, but I live in Florida USA and there are NO cold winters.
So when a heater kicks into full gear to warm your house up, it will be 68 and feel more like 72 or higher. But in Florida our AC kicks into full gear, it may feel like 68 or 66 and actually be 74. So its a little different. But I'm sure wherever you live it must work fine. But where I live, AC all day makes chills, lol, and that's not great for a healing bird.

She is slowing doing better since this morning. Thanks for the comments!

~Skye

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is great to hear! While humans can tolerate low temperatures (I personally cannot - I was hospitalized last winter due to a common cold which lingered too long due to cold house & workplace temps), birds cannot and will rapidly decline. There's a reason cave people invented fire. Don't let the advice of fiscal conservatives kill your parrot. 66f will be too low as your bird gets older, and once you find out at what age that is, it will probably be too late.
Yeah I'm keeping her nice and warm, hopefully she will have many many years ahead of her!:D

~Skye

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It really sounds to me like she needs a vet check ASAP. I'm glad she seems to be doing a bit better, but all of those signs point to illness. By the time you see other symptoms in a bird, it's often too late to do anything.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I agree with enigma. Those kinds of signs really do point to something that needs vet attention asap. It may be that she was just feeling a little under the weather, but with illnesses and infections being so touch and go with birds I wouldn't want to risk it. I'd take her in for a checkup with the vet you dislike the least.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Well I understand that, but I live in Florida USA and there are NO cold winters.
So when a heater kicks into full gear to warm your house up, it will be 68 and feel more like 72 or higher. But in Florida our AC kicks into full gear, it may feel like 68 or 66 and actually be 74. So its a little different. But I'm sure wherever you live it must work fine. But where I live, AC all day makes chills, lol, and that's not great for a healing bird.

She is slowing doing better since this morning. Thanks for the comments!

~Skye
I'm in Indiana, and we have the horribly hot, humid summers too. Not quite in your league, but it is quite common to have temps in the mid to upper 90s with a heat index over 100. :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Actually birds can do quiet well at lower temps as long as they are not in a draft and the temps do not fluctuate rapidly. I too think a vet check is in order.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Birds can fluff up a bit more than usual when temps are cooler, but the lethargy you're describing is not normal under any circumstances. That's why I think it's important to get a vet check very soon (like tomorrow, if possible).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi 3LoveSkyeTiel ,
It will be better if you take chicken to VET. But in my place as avian vets are less i first try home remedy before its too late. I give "cutie" Basil leaves if vet is not available for a day..

Sending lots of good wishes on your way from me and cutie :) Chicken get well soon :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well I'll probably go against the authorities here on the cold matter. My youngster today morning was chirping fine and feeling playfull at 55 degrees. I'm a cold weather lover so she is used to be in a little chilly situations but without leaving her in a draft (also I think it wouldn't matter much she's a bird after all and wind is sometging they are genetically used to)either way they are supposed to be desert birds so they adapt in cold over night it just doesn't have to drop drastically. When my gf is around we usually open up the heater to about 73 but on low so the temp rises slowly and Kana is fine as well.

Nice to hear that Chicken is doing better though! Keep an eye on her (like you wouldn't hahah) and go say a Pokpokpok from us :p

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well thanks everyone for the input! I would also suggest vet, but the stress of them taking my bird and sticking it in a incubator and my baby not being with me.. I am not doing that again. All my local vet does is this: Take my bird, give it blood tests, put it alone in an incubator, keep it for 3 days, the bird dies, and they charge $400!!! I am not doing that with this bird. Worse comes to Worse my local bird store has certain shots or whatever to boost them and then let me take her home. I love this local bird store because some birds are worth $10,000 like even Toucans babies hand-fed, so he can't afford a bird to die. I go to him if emergency and that's just about it. Chicken is doing much better today. When i bring her out of her room though into our house now she shakes:confused:? But in the room where it is warm with me, she is doing great. I will have to see how today goes and tomorrow she should be back to normal, I hope.

~Skye

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
She should see a vet. I don't care how you feel about the vets in your area or how she is acting now. Anytime a bird stops eating it is BAD. Yes, she's going to be shaking in the rest of your house because she is *sick* and therefore cannot regulate her body temperature.

Your vet can only do what you authorize them to do, so if you want to avoid all the outrageous charges, provide supplemental care at home like you're doing and have her tested or at least diagnosed without testing (not recommended, but more cost efficient).

Try to get a broad spectrum antibiotic like baytril/enroflaxicin at the very least...and perhaps some doxycycline to treat a possible respiratory illness (common in birds because they have sensitive respiratory systems).

Please do not let her suffer at home because you don't like the vets. You authorized the vet to spend your $400 before on what may or may not have been necessary for your other birds, but that is not Chicken's fault and she deserves to be seen and helped.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I'd also like to add that a bird that's shaking and showing signs of being unable to regulate her body temperature SHOULD be in an incubator or some other setup with supplemental heat. It might be stressful for you to have her at the vet, but it sounds like that's what she needs to recover. She's depending on you to provide these things.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understand that all because yesterday she was like that, but know she is doing great! The room is 80 degrees, she is eating a lot, playing, not shaking at all. There is no way I am taking her now. I have enough common sense to do that if she didn't improve by today..

~Skye

·
Registered
885 Posts
It sucks that you don't like your vets, but if you have avian vets local to you (and this goes for anyone), PLEASE take advantage of their close proximity any time your bird is acting unwell. My closest avian vet is an hour away, and her attendance at the clinic is very spotty and it's difficult to get an appointment with her. When she is unavailable, my only other option is 2-3 hours away (depending on traffic). You have know idea how much I wish we had an avian vet in this town. It actually makes me want to go back to school to become one myself.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I was feeling the same way about vets when Sophie was showing signs of sickness, and I couldn't get ahold of my avian vet so I didn't take her to a regular vet, and she ended up passing away that same day because of this. Apparently she was too far gone anyway, but that's not the point -- please take your 'tiel to a vet as soon as you see symptoms. You will feel soul-crushingly guilty if you don't and then she takes a turn for the worse. I'm glad Chicken is feeling better, but please keep this in mind. Not meaning to be harsh, I just care.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts