Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting into breeding cockatiels, I had a healthy batch of 4 babies and everything was fine until weaning when one had a deformed beak and could not eat real food so it died. Now fast forward a month and I sold the youngest, he was good until his owner texted me and said part of his beak fell off this morning. She said he has been picking at his droppings and they noticed a "scale" on his beak and then it fell off. He is still playing with his food but she does not know if he has swallowed anything.
From what I have read it might be a mineral deficiency? She is going to start watching his weight closely and of it drops start to give him some baby cockatiel food because it is easy for him to eat. I tried calling a vet but they said I have to take the bird into them which I cannot do because of work.
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Definitely get a vet to check them out. Could be a deficiency, but could also be fungus, bacteria, virus or mites. Those could easily be spread to all chicks. Worst thing would be cancer. It's hard to say with just the pictures, needs investigating by vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts