Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tiel Bella has been unusually quiet lately and today things have taken a turn for the worse. I noticed this morning and for a while now that she had been raising one foot while sitting in place (raising it in front of herself rather than raising and tucking it in). However, she only used to do this in one particular spot. Today was unusual because she did it sitting somewhere else.

Now that it's later in the day things seem to have gotten worse - she's moving very slowly and basically limping. She's still eating and trying to play a little bit, but her bites have been quite weak.

I've heard that pressure on the nerves from egg binding can be a cause for one leg to be weak, so I'm really worried that she's egg bound as opposed to just having an injured foot. Does an injured foot get worse across the day, or would her deterioration suggest that it's egg binding or some kind of illness?

We also took her to the vet just recently and they couldn't find anything wrong with her, but maybe something's developed very recently?

I'd appreciate it if anyone here could offer me some advice. Very worried for her :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also mention that she's been sitting fluffed up with droopy wings :frown: she has been grinding her beak, but that doesn't stop me worrying of course

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not a good sign to me. Do you keep records of her normal weight range? If egg bound, her weigh will be more than 5 grams m than her average normal weight. An egg weigh 3-6 grams and if she hold dropping, that will add a few grams more. . If she lose weigh, which means she is sick, but not egg bounded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a good sign to me. Do you keep records of her normal weight range? If egg bound, her weigh will be more than 5 grams m than her average normal weight. An egg weigh 3-6 grams and if she hold dropping, that will add a few grams more. . If she lose weigh, which means she is sick, but not egg bounded.
Thank you for your reply. Thankfully after a couple of days she seems to be back to normal and walking fine! We're keeping a close eye on her though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts