Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just palying with the babies and wondered why one of the babies crops looked bigger. Its got air in it !! Do i massage it out? What do i do?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I had to do this once with a small chick. I just massaged it out gently. I started very softly at the bottom/base of the bubble of air and just moved my finger in circular motions as I slowly moved upwards. You can actually feel the air release. Just be gentle and calm.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK this is very strange, im worried. She breathes fills it up and then the crop goes flat. Fills up again then goes down. What could this be?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Hmmm.. well mine had air in the crop from feeding. Not while just breathing.. this might be something for an expert. Hopefully one will be along shortly! :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can actually see her opening her beak when she fills the crop with air. First time ive seen this, they are due to be feed in an hour but i dont want to feed her with air in the crop.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I just PMed Srtiels.. we'll see if she can help.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Ive been googling, seems quite a few posts on it but all different answers. One says shes hungry and fill up with food, another says peptobismol and applesauce. She seems to be taking in air filling her crop then expelling it. She was fine when i fed her 5 hours ago, i didnt notice air in there.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well Srtiels is usually not offline too long, so hopefully she can answer you. I'm not finding much either for this specific sounding problem.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its really weird, i just checked on her and she was sitting with her crop full of air then she stretched her neck out, beaked her sibling and the air was released, relaxes and the crop fills again. Maybe if i feed her when theres no air it will stop it?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Honestly.. I would really wait to see what Srteils thinks if you can. Don't starve the little guy though.. but see if you can hold off feeding the baby till we get her input.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Can we see a picture?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its their feeding time so she is hungry, i just thought the food might prevent the air filling up. I will hold off a bit.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Well air or not, the baby will need food..my concern is are you overfilling it? I don't know much about crop problems but maybe it is overstretched?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well if you want to go ahead and feed her.. do the massage and work out the air before you give her the syringe and see how she does. And yes, try to take some pics.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
My question would be.. if air is getting in and out that easily (and it shouldn't be).. does this make aspiration a higher risk?

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Could it have a punctured crop?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
This is what I'm wondering. I'm thinking of us as humans.. we have our epiglottis that flops back and forth to allow air down one tube and food down the other. If air is going in the wrong place.. is it possible for food to go wrong too? I really have no clue and am just throwing things out here. If she has a puncture, it would seem to make sense that it would be near the top of her crop right?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts