Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Calling all cockatiel genetics experts!

I tried using the on-line genetics calculator, but must be missing splits somewhere. Need help sexing the following babies:

Father: Clear Pied (all white, dark eyes)
Mother: Normal Grey

Babies
2 WF Grey
1 WF Pearl

Thanks!

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you want to be 100% sure why not have them DNA tested. I'm sure it's more accurate than any online calculator.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Calling all cockatiel genetics experts! Tielfan!

I tried using the on-line genetics calculator, but must be missing splits somewhere. Need help sexing the following babies:

Father: Clear Pied (all white, dark eyes)
Mother: Normal Grey

Babies
2 WF Grey
1 WF Pearl Pearl (grey)

Thanks!
The grey are likely male, the pearl is a female. There is a small chance one of the greys is female but grey hens are not incredibly common. Just based on what you're telling me here.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Agree with Darkel. The pearl is definitely hen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi again - I have pictures!
Based on the above info on the parents and the reply from Darkel777 advising one of the WF grey potentially being female, do we think this baby is male or female? I'm hoping it's a male. Thanks

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
He appears to be molting in the male's mask.

This would not surprise me, less than 20% of hens are a normal gray; that figure does not count autosomal mutations which would drive the 20% quote even lower.

Not counting autosomal mutations, males turn out to be normal gray at roughly a rate of 50% the time. More than double the rate of hens due to how sex-linked traits are inherited.

Pure Z genes are somewhat rare and are required to produce normal gray hens; these figures are helpful when the mutations of a Z gene carried by the father cannot be determined. Normal gray are almost overwhelmingly males.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome - thank you Darkel777...I was hoping you'd reply!
So I guess it's safe to assume at this point that this baby is a male?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes, he has a white patch on his cheek. The other white patches on the head and neck are likely pied tick marks. But a cockatiel cannot get a tick mark on its cheek patch. This means he definitely is a male.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts