Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi everyone!~
It's nice to meet you all, I have just recently joined to be able to become part of the cockatiel online community :) I'm a 19 year old University student from Australia, studying to teach English in South Korea.
I have had a cockatiel in the past, but unfortunately he passed away from an illness at 3 years old. After a 5 year break of no pets, I have just recently chosen a new baby hand raised cockatiel from a very lovely and caring breeder, which I will be picking up this Thursday. I am really excited to welcome a new little addition to my family, and am looking forward to many years of happy cockatiel ownership! It will also be my partner's first experience with a bird (he has only ever owned cats), which I am sure will bring many hilarious moments!
I'm hoping to learn more about cockatiels by being part of this community, so I can further enrich the life of my own tiel and give love back to the community! :)

The cockatiels I chose from are still too young to tell the gender, but I am hoping for a boy, as I generally prefer male pets and I would worry about a female if she became egg bound etc, I wouldn't feel confident in helping her. However overall I think the personality is what matters most, and how well the tiel bonds with you, so in the end I don't mind what gender I end up with...I just need to make sure I choose a unisex name!!
Here is a phone photo I found that my partner took when we went to play and choose one of the teils. They are hand raised by a local breeder here in Tasmania, Australia. Personally, I would never buy a pet shop or aviary raised tiel.
There were 3 left, one of them had been nicknamed 'squinty' because he kept squinting all the time! You can see squinty at the front left. Although he had a lot of character, I decided against choosing squinty as I had a slight concern that perhaps his squinting was actually unhealthy or a genetic defect, especially since the breeder said in all her years of teil ownership and breeding, she has never seen a bird be squinty almost constantly like he/she is.

The one I chose is the front right, it was very alert and healthy looking, and very friendly! All of them had lovely temperaments, and it was really hard to choose just one! The breeder has been taking them to and from her scrapbooking store every day, so they can interact with people in the store and become even more tame. They have been raised on pellets as the breeder feels it is healthier than seed. The breeder certainly knew her stuff, and was a really friendly person, and it was easy to tell she cared a lot about her birds and was very experienced, so I felt no hesitation in buying from her. The fact that they are used to travel is also fantastic, as I know a lot of tiels can be very frightened by transportation if they are not used to it.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

What a gorgeous photo!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! What a cute picture of the three of them sitting on your shoulder :)
Make sure to check out the sticky on diet, as an all pellet diet isn't generally recommended :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes!! I'm so excited to be picking up my new little friend in a few days :)

Hi, welcome to the forum! What a cute picture of the three of them sitting on your shoulder :)
Make sure to check out the sticky on diet, as an all pellet diet isn't generally recommended :)
Oh yes, I'm not new to tiels so I know an all pellet diet isn't healthy, any diet that consists of just one or two things isn't very good. Rest assured there will be plenty of variety in my tiels diet, lots of fresh produce etc and minimal seed :)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Welcome fellow Aussie. :)

Did you have a name for your baby? Or did I miss that bit.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Welcome!

I had to edit your post, we ask that all members use the default font and color, as per one of the forum rules. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hello there! Nice to meet other Australians! :)
I don't have a name yet, as I want to spend a little time with him/her before I figure one out that suits. I also need to try and pick a unisex name because I won't know the gender straight up since he/she is still young :)
Here is a list of names I have been collecting over the past few weeks, most of them are unisex (or could have either gender nicknames created out of them) but some are more feminine:
Lemon
Toshi - "mirror reflection" or "year of plenty"
Anya
Ocha - Japanese tea
Anko - Red bean paste
Sumi - Japanese black ink used for caligraphy
Momo - Peach
Chou - Butterfly
Charlie
Archie
Mizu - Water
Seom - Island, Korean.