Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum... as well as a new cockatiel owner...(this is going to be long, sorry) I also have 2 shih tzus that have been my companions for 10 years. I brought home my tiel Thurs June 12. I took 2 days off from work, Thurs and today to help my pets thro the transition. I knew there would be some trama, but it has been worse that I expected. My tiel is a year old, has been in the home he was hatched in until I bought him, along with many other tiel and various other birds. I bring him to a home that is relatively quiet, I am older, live with my dogs, work full time. Poor Tiki (my cockatiels name) doesn't know what to think, my little female dog hides in the closet or anywhere else she can squeeze into or under.

Tiki is scared... which I can well understand. He is eating and drinking water, so that is a good sign... tho he was hand fed and tame, he doesn't want me to touch him. I am giving him time to get adjusted. Yesterday he ate like there was no tomorrow, I have him on a similar diet to what he breeder fed him, so I tho't I hope he doesn't get constipated!!!!!! This morning he was still on the toy he has chosen to perch on for sleeping, I first tho't maybe his nails were caught on it, nope that wasn't the problem, he moved to another toy, then I noticed that he had poop stuck to his little butt, since I wasn't sure what to do, I did the same thing I do with my dogs, got a wet paper towel and wiped it off... He wasn't happy with me, but immediatly went to his dish and started eating... so am assuming that is what needed to be done. Did I do the right thing?

I do hope my fur and feather family get settled down soon.. :) I have been thinking abut getting a cockatiel for several years. So this is not a spur of the moment decision.

Tike2

· Registered
5,947 Posts
Hi there welcome to the forum, your post was up in the sticky thread so I put a title on it "hello" I know not very original...lol and moved it down so everyone would see it ;) I also have a shih tzu we have had her for almost 4 years and she is the best :love: Congrats on getting your first tiel, sounds like he is still adjusting to his new home, some take awhile to trust us humans its a big change for them leaving the only home they knew I am sure he will settle down soon and become a great addition, you did the right thing by removing the poop I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't keep happening are they watery? could just be from stress with the change of a new house.

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, and after I posted I figured I was in the wrong spot... and Hello works just fine... :) No the poop isn't watery.... I have read so much on the internet about tiels, and have been watching his poop, ect ect.... glad I did the right thing, I think it is just stress... I really need this forum... and for a while you maybe hearing a lot from me. I feel so bad for him... he is so pretty and I want him to be happy and healthy. I have a play station coming for him, I haven't let him out yet, as I want him to feel comfortable before we make another change.

Yes, Tzu are the best... :)

Thanks
Tike2

· Registered
5,947 Posts
What colour is he and do you have a name for him? another thing you could try is to open his cage and let him decide if he would like to come out and explore, you don't want to leave him in the cage to long then he will become dependent on it, a play station will be great for him mine love to play on there's.

· Registered
2,731 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :D I am sure everyone will settle down soon! :p He sounds like he is just a little stressed over the big change from moving home! Have you got any photos ?? We love photos! :) Good Luck!

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcomes.... he is silver... she called him an Emerald. His name is Tiki... which I was going to use here for a screen name... and miss typed it and was accepted before I realized that... :)

I do have some photos... will have to figure out how to upload them.

So far I have been giving him most of what his breeder fed him, but I will need to get him going on some veggies and fruit... of course this is only his 4th day with me... so expect things will get back to normal in a couple of wks.... but back to the veggies and fruit.... can I use frozen... I live alone, buying fresh stuff is pretty much a waste as I wouldn't eat what he doesn't... I frozen fruit and veggies on had.

Tike2

· Registered
55 Posts
Welcome Tiki2
I agree with the others that it takes time for all family members to get used to the new faces. Just keep an eye on his bum.. And YES, post pics asap. I would love to see pics of an "emerald". As far as I know they are very rare. I bet he is just beautiful. All my tiels love froze vegies. They really dont like fruit, dont know why because they like the fruit flavored Zupreem. So I keep froze vegies in the deep freeze all the time for the days that I dont have fresh. Welcome to the forum..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.