Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:grey tiel:
I got my first pet, Picotiel, about 5 days ago. He's 5-6 months and adorable as heck! He's still skittish though. Anyways, hi!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Aww that's sweet, enjoy your new tiel, Picotiel! Cockatiels are great when you get to know them. Don't worry, he will become confident in his own time. Allow him to settle and frequently go up to the cage and talk to him to get him used to humans and your voice. Give him millet spray to calm his nerves and put your hands in the cage now and then to touch the toys, or give him millet to prove to him that your hands mean no harm and mean food lol. Welcome to the forum by the way! :)

-Foobzy & Kiki-

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hello and welcome from Joey and me! :) That is great advice above. Loads of patience, slowly working at the tiel's pace, is the best way to go about it. They take to some things right away, need time with other things, and some things they never like. It is a matter of accepting that everything is on their terms. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Congrats on ur new baby. That's how old mine is. He is a pied. Yes cockatiels r sweet babies. Some will take to u right away while others r a little more shy. I know sometimes u can bribe them with a treat. Harley like cheerios and millet. So u can use that to ur advantage to get them to come out of the cage when they r first new and r scared. Mine didn't like scratches at first but he realized when he came out to me and I gave him scratches he would then get a cheerio. Now he loves his scratches weather he gets a cheerio or not. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi there! Welcome from Percy and me. :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts