Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! We brought home our Keiko this past Saturday. Keiko is a yellow pied, but really has very little grey feathers, and is about 9 weeks old. We are not sure of the gender yet. Keiko is settling in very well, eating seeds like crazy and likes to snuggle already. I have been reading the nutrition topics and will try some of the advice I read there to try to get him/her to eat more of the pellets offered. He/She does this funny thing of "posing" when I come near the cage by spreading out their wing feathers in different positions but is not really too vocal yet. Any thoughts on whether or not this is male or female behavior... or is it just too early to tell? I am looking forward to chatting with cockatiel lovers and experts!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I'm new here too and I also have a baby cockatiel. No idea on how to tell gender but from what I have read either a dna or with some colours you find out after the first molt.

·
Registered
350 Posts
One great way to tell is from vocalizations. Males love to sing and can even talk in some circumstances, and will chirp and generally make more noise than females. Females might, on occasion, sing, and will chirp now and again, but if you've got a noisy buddy it's definitely male. Other than that, I'm not sure if there's a definite "works every time" method. Sometimes you can tell from their color, but that doesn't apply to all species of tiel and some males can have pale coloration and some females can be bright.

I would just wait a little longer and see. One way to tell for sure is if you're bird lays an egg :lol:. In any case, they may show behavior that is definitely one way or another, or they may lay an egg, or you may be able to tell from the coloration after their first molt. Keep us updated! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Some pointers that usually get the trick done on seeing the gender are

1)as Luna said males will be more vocal as that's their way of impressing a girl to mate.

2)tail feathers on males if you look at them in front view will be solid colored and in females they'll be "wavey" that's the easiest way at least to tell and usually it's correct

3)the colors on a male face will be a lot brighter than what a female has. Female cockatiel a have a pale look on their colors. Example if the patch is really bright orange then it's a male if you always see it as having a dusty color it's probably a female :)

For colors and tail you'll have to wait for their first molt as many feathers might change in appearance.

The only way to know 100% is a dna test but meh, I always trust my eyes and ears hahah.

That's what I know /gathered after loads of reading so hope it helps.

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts