Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello!

My name is saber and I am a proud new owner of two beautiful cockatiels. My husband got me these birds as a anniversary gift a little over a week ago, but it was a bit spur of the moment so I didn't have a lot of time to prepare (even so, I still love him and the birds lol) were planning on getting them a bigger cage soon as well. Their names are Aiden and Luna (though were sure they're more brothers than a pair like the store owners said) I've been doing everything I've seen others do, from videos and other info pages but they don't seem to be calming down as much as I thought they would. they're still really jumpy when o go to change their water and food, the cage we have at the moment doesn't require me to reach in the cage their bowls are mounted in doors that I can open from the outside and pull them out from there, they've gotten better when I do thins but still worries me a bit. id just like to have them at least somewhat tame before I have my baby, if anyone has any suggestions then please please let me know, it would be very much appreciated ( also, we did take out the cotton string once we learned that it was dangerous to them)

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
795 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have two REALLY beautiful tiels there! Since you haven't had them all that long just give them a little more time to get use to the new home and surroundings. Do you know if they were hand tamed and raised? That makes A LOT of difference about how they react inside or out of cage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if they were hand tamed at all, I'm pretty sure they weren't since Luna bit the store owner when he was getting them into the travel boxes heh.....I know that'll probably take a LOT longer to get them to trust me more and such.....they're relatively calm inside the cage when we're not messing with it or moving around too much lol but as I said, they're slowly getting better (though they hiss at me sometimes but I just tell them to calm down softly) but in the mornings and throughout the day they call and chirp and climb around and play with the toys, it's just when I go to change the food and open the door to let them out if they wanna is when they get scared most. I know it takes a lot of patience especially with these kinds of birds, I just don't wanna mess up and destroy any trust with them.

Thanks for responding!! Im looking forward for more of your help!

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
795 Posts
In your case, time is what it will take and I know (for you) sometimes that can be frustrating. We want to help and do ALL we can for these beautiful birds it's just that until they get use to things, the birds don't know that. Please keep me posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello again :) I'm just checking back in to say that I'm almost 100% sure that both of my tiels are males, they both sing almost all day every day and have been making heart wings at me, well, one does to me the other dosent seem to be in that phase yet lol but the one that does is named Luna (the one with more yellow and white) he(?) seems very interested in me as he stares at me often and makes his heart wings, but when I go to get close to the cage he runs off and climbs up the other side.....I'm kinda confused as to what he wants from me heh....I don't know if he wants scritches and stuff, I don't know heh....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.