Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i have been looking for cockatiel chat rooms but found non but found this website so i gonna post here :)
i am not new to birds but have a worry i have had birds my whole life but never had a baby like Arlo! Arlo is almost 6 months and he is very very jumpy, he is like a ping pong ball and is scaring me to death, we are going back to basics with him and trying to get him used to our hands in his cage then gonna get him to step up, now he can step up but we need him to come on to us when he trys to land!, he cant land and keeps crashing so for the moment he is in his cage which we hate but its for his safety for now, he ping pongs in the cage and out!
i have never had this ever and its a worry and he is gonna give me a heartattck soon, anything moves fast or he is not ready for it bang he is off and takes a while to calm him down! i no there instincts are to be on alert but this is madness, please please tell me he will grow out of this soon? are we doing the right thing or wrong things, we have 6 year old kiki also and he is confident flyer, and even he crashed when we let them both out ( big mistake on our part) there i way i can have them both out at the same time, and even when kiki is in and Arlo was out, kiki likes to jump down to the bottom of his cage and this makes Arlo go into ping pong mode, please help what can i try do? we cant have then in seprate rooms as in a small house, we lost Buck our 11 year old latino in may and so we are extremly anxious as that was so unexpected so we are on eadge any ways but i am trying to be carlm but i am worried.

thanks for listening

Nicky, Kiki and baby Arlo AKA, ping pong ball !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello
I am new - as in brand new - to cockatiels so I am afraid I do not have any experience to share. But speaking as a mom, it sounds like you have quite a teenager! Hang in there and good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't worry... sounds like Arlo is just an energetic youngster. They do outgrow some of that after a while, it just takes time. Unfortunately, due to "herd mentality", when one freaks out they all do. I see this all the time with my three. I would let them out separately for now, at least until Arlo calms a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts