Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello TC Members!

My names Lumineu but feel free to call me Lumi or Neu and this here is my 3 year old Lutino Pearl, Lui!

I've kept birds for over 8 years, over the course of that time I've fostered and even rehomed a few parrots myself!

I got Lui sometime 3 years ago from a breeder. Out of all the tiels I've seen come and go, I must say, Lui is one of the best. Even as a young bird, he had a good build, no bald spots (which most of the Lutinos usually have) and even when clipped, he was still able to fly quite a distance. Despite being an "inside" birb, he's very good at flying! The only problem he has is his separation anxiety. He doesn't want to be left alone but also doesn't like being around other birds! (weird right?)

A little story about Lui that happened in the past week, He'd learned how to pick open his own cage and by the time I came outside to check on him and water the plants, he was gone. I was devastated of course, to think my little Lui would be gone forever. I've had many animals disappear or go missing in my care before and they never came back. I could only hope for them.

So, I didn't expect to find Lui nor expect him to come home. Especially since I lived in a mountainy area where the wind could literally take him away even if he was partially clipped. I called out for him, he didn't whistle back. I waited to hear his whistle, nothing. A day had passed.

The next day, nothing. A storm came and I grew less hopeful. I just wanted him to be okay wherever he was.

The third day, afternoon, I got a message from my mom. It was a voice note. I sneaked my phone to listen during class and turns out, he was whistling back to my mom! He was around the area!! I hoped my siblings or my mom would find him and bring him back home safely but apparently my parents had to leave and my brother couldn't find him. I grew restless.

As soon as class finished, two hours later, I rushed home and began whistling on my way back from school. Each time I whistled and called him, I hoped for a call back. After many tries and more walking, I heard him. I quickly ran towards the tree I could hear him in and there he was

Just chilling on a branch, slightly out of my reach. I dropped my bags and quickly tried to grab a branch to pull him towards me but I failed and he only flew higher so instead of forcing myself on him, I decided to wait. I know, not a good idea, dumb one if you ask me 馃槀 So I sat down and talked to him. 10 minutes passed and he was just pacing back and forth on the same branch. 15 minutes.... 20 minutes later, he flew down and onto my knee. He stayed on my shoulder the entire way back home because I didnt want to startle him by grabbing him and I didn't exactly have a cage or carrier on hand.

Eversince then, I've been a little wary with keeping him in a cage. So, I've decided to turn my entire room into his living space. You can read about more of that on this other post I made talking about it!

So thats a little about Lui!

Theres not much to say about myself. I guess I'm just your everyday student who is obsessed with animals ;)

Anyways! Thanks for reading this post and have a good day! Hope to talk to and interact with the rest of TC community!

Registered
Welcome to this community! Thanks for sharing your story with us. I love the happy ending.
I'm glad that you were able to successfully recovery your Lui. After reading your story, I now understand why you want to dedicate a room for your tiel. A whole room for a small bird is very luxury. Cockatiel usually spend most time on one perch, that is the reason, sometime called cockatiel perch potato. My will spend most time on top of cage, occasionally fly around the room. I find my tiels enjoy nature tree branch perch. They will spend hours chew on woods or barks. Make sure use cockatiel safe wood for perch. And They enjoy juicy tree twigs too, which is part of their nature diet.

Registered
Wow welcome to the form. Thanks for the story. Such a great ending. I have worked in animal control for about 20 years and when we pick up birds they almost never get back to the original owner.

Roger

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to this community! Thanks for sharing your story with us. I love the happy ending.
I'm glad that you were able to successfully recovery your Lui. After reading your story, I now understand why you want to dedicate a room for your tiel. A whole room for a small bird is very luxury. Cockatiel usually spend most time on one perch, that is the reason, sometime called cockatiel perch potato. My will spend most time on top of cage, occasionally fly around the room. I find my tiels enjoy nature tree branch perch. They will spend hours chew on woods or barks. Make sure use cockatiel safe wood for perch. And They enjoy juicy tree twigs too, which is part of their nature diet.
Yeah! He's been less anxious and more active eversince the room upgrade! 馃槀 馃槀 Its nice to watch him go about his day <3 I am very excited to get him a girlfriend soon :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts