Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! I just joined a few minutes ago, and figured I'd introduce myself and my flock. I'm admin on a gerbil forum, and they are my primary pet, but I've managed myself 4 cockatiels! :eek:

My first 2 I got about a year and a half ago. That was Boomer and his sister. I actually traded the gal some gerbils for the 2 birds. Strange, huh? Unfortunately, the gal died... and Boomer took a vow of silence. He lived alone about 6 months before I was able to get a gal form a bird shelter. Her name is "Birdie". Then, we recently moved from Washington to California, and after arriving we ended up taking in 2 more. Strange how I ended up with 4 birds, and only paid for one... $25 and some budgie supplies to the shelter where Birdie came from!

So.... lets go for some pictures! I've got lots of questions!

Boomer

Here's the late "Stouder" That was Boomers sister

Then we've got Reno... he's 25, and has a cute story.

Is he a boy or a girl?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Welcome! I love the last pic of all 4 on you..hehe...so cute! I'm sorry about Boomer's sister. The ones you have now are lovely! It's hard to say with the lutino- if I had to guess I would say girl. Twentyfive is a great age for Reno-he looks great.:) All of them are cute. Your questions are welcome-whenever you're ready to ask just post a thread. There are alot of tiel obsessed people here with lots of answers.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!! I love that photo with you and all four tiels, it's great! :D As to whether your lutino is male or female, it's hard to tell with lutinos. :p There are some rough indicators - spots under the flight feathers, bars on the tail - that would suggest female, but looking at yours it looks male. Does he whistle or sing at all?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hi there welcome to the forum :) thanks for introducing yourself and your gorgeous little flock, its hard to tell with lutino's as you can't visually sex them does s/he make any noises whistles etc.... sometimes you can tell by behaviour ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I know about the "general" sexing... and how it's hard to tell without blood tests. But the gal I got him and Reno from said boy, except I'm thinking girl. Name is Cousteau (which I actually can't stand) but this bird is friendly and polite, very quiet. It likes to coo like a chicken hen. That's why I was thinking girl. I mean, Boomer and Reno both say words. I've not heard this one say words. It coos similar to Birdie, though at the same time- totally different. Birdie doesn't sound like a chicken. The Latino does. It's all yellow. Nothing special. So i"m confused. I don't actually care if its boy or girl though.

They all live together. =D

Reno is getting grumpy though, and he's irritating me. He bites and anything has to be on HIS terms. Sucks for him when he doesn't wanna come out for play time though, because that is "now or never" because I've got cats too! lol He finally decided to come out yesterday though, after missing out several days in a row! :p

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
:)All you cockatiels are really cute!:)
Don't know about your Lutino, he/she is whatever you imagine he/she to be.
I think Earl(my cockatiel) is a boy but has signs of being a girl .
LOL!

Hope Reno starts coming out of his cage. :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, well, I don't call him by his name too often... "Cousteau" I think it's way too long to be a bird name... :p He coos like a chicken hen... but it doesn't matter to me if it's boy or girl.... But I still think s/he needs a new name... what goes well with Reno, Boomer and Birdie? maybe another R name? I dunno

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
His name was that when I got him. He still doesn't really say any words, but is very much so like a chicken! lol It's too long of a name I think..... but naming animals isn't always easy- especially when they have personalities! S/he's quite polite. I still can't pet anybody on the head- except for Birdie, but only when she feels like it.... but I can have the chicken bird on my stomach, have my hand above him so he dosen't climb up me, and I can pet his back. He doesnt' get angry or anything.

Here.... found this.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousteau

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be careful doing that since petting their back can trigger breeding behavior.
Which would be exactly what? It's "cousteau" who's back I pet. He/she doesn't seem to mind it at all. And the only thing "weird" that this bird does different than the others is rub his face on the wall when he's out of the cage. It's like he's in time out or something. Not so much rubbing I guess, but mostly gets really really close to it, then stares.... ???

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Which would be exactly what? It's "cousteau" who's back I pet. He/she doesn't seem to mind it at all. And the only thing "weird" that this bird does different than the others is rub his face on the wall when he's out of the cage. It's like he's in time out or something. Not so much rubbing I guess, but mostly gets really really close to it, then stares.... ???
It's not that they mind but it triggers them to become broody. If Cousteau is a girl that mean she could start laying eggs and feeling the need to breed. She will think of you as her companion and lay eggs for you. I know it seems weird but it's true. *happened to me and my ex boyfriend with Baby* Baby does that to the wall as well, she likes to wipe her beak on there after she eats or she does it because she thinks noane can see her if she can't see anyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.