Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello so I'm Leah and I got a cockatiel for Christmas, she was 6 weeks old when we got her. She was a very pretty bird, a grey tiel and I called her Willow. Yesterday before I was allowed to post anything as I had not been accepted my dad was bringing her in to the house as she was outside enjoying the sun, in the shade. The bottem of her cage wasn't on properly so when my dad lifted it the bottem was exposed and she flew out. She did circles around my dad and flew away into someone's back garden. I went around that day with bird seed in my hand looking for her and telling my neighbours if they where to see her to come and tell me. My whole street knows and are looking out for her. Her cage is out my back with the cage door open with millet and bird seed around it. My dad has been out from 4 in the morning looking out for her and seeing if he could her her. It has really broke my heart and I've cried so much. I always said to my parents about getting her wings clipped as I was afraid she would fly away though my mum thinks it is cruel as bird were gave the gift of flight. I'm trying my best to bring her back and I do hope if worst case scenario does happen I will be allowed a new bird but I do not know if my parents will.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Hi, I'm so sorry your bird is lost. Don't give up. There are stories of tiels being found weeks later. If you can, put her cage outside with food in it. Also alert the police, local vets' offices and any rescues near you. Just keep looking. (And I'm also against clipping wings. It's better for a bird's health and mental well being to fly. If you do a search on here though there are a number of discussions etc on the pros and cons of clipping.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I won't be anytime soon and thank you for your help. All the neighbourhoods nearby all know but I'm kind of worrying as my street is write beside a forest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts