Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - my name is Fiona and I am new to cockatiels. I had a desperate phone call from my uncle a few weeks ago asking if I would take on two elderly birds he had rescued from a rotting aviary. He had bought them a cage and asked if I would take them to live out their days in the warmth of a house.

So on the basis that "they've been in the house and they are really quiet and they will only live another year or so" I told him to drop them off.

So the next day he arrived with the birds in a canvas shopping bag - they had escaped from the cage as he turned a corner and had travelled the last few miles sitting on the dash board!

Just a superficial search on google led me to realise that these birds might well live a bit longer than the year or so my uncle predicted (they are about 16 years of age) and within 24 hours of being in the house they have made their presence felt in every way - soooo much noise!

So they are now in a cage that I don't think is suitable - too tall and narrow and the bars are mostly vertical. I am saving to buy them a decent cage and the pet shop owner that I will buy from has promised he will help me to transfer them to the new cage.

I have called them "Talwch" and "Arddangos" - which is Welsh for "Pay" and "Display". Even though they are aviary birds they are very calm, very nosy and quick to investigate anything edible I put in the cage. They have shown no interest in any of the toys except for the ladder. They have learnt to use bottles for seed and water and seem perfectly happy to be in a house full of people and dogs.

No doubt as the weeks go on I will have more and more questions for you all but for now that's who we are and why we've joined :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi and welcome ! How great to have some rescue birds for you to spoil, hope you'll soon be able to get your new cage and have plenty of bonding moments with your new birdies :D Post pics soon :D

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
**waves hi** Welcome everybirdy! Yes, cockatiels have a way of making themselves known, LOL. Especially if they're male! Can't wait to hear more adventures of your fids!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello Fiona! Welcome to this forum :D Congratz on your rescue to the tiels. Hope you have fun with them!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello, welcome! :) Good on you for rescuing these cockatiels!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome - have a couple of questions so will have a wander around the forum and find the right place(s).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello! I'm new to this forum and I have a few questions about my new cockatiel. I grew up having 2 of them and they were so great, but the one that I have now is one of a kind. I will post in the "training and bonding" topic and hopefully someone can help me!! Thank you.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Welcome to the board. You will enjoy it here. Lots of information and helpful people. I think it's awesome you rescued them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Very awesome that you are giving them their forever home. They will probably love all the things you are doing for them and you might get very very attached to them too. It will be fun to hear what kind of personalities they have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts