Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 15 year old girl who lives near london and I would very much love to own a cockatiel! I find these birds so fascinating and I think it's great that they are known as a 'beginner' bird. I would dedicate my love and time into owning a bird. I have studied about them a lot and all I have to wait for now is my new room to be finished, then I can begin bugging my mom about letting me buy one!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have a friend in London Ontario actually!

Being responsible for a bird is a huge commitment of time, resources, and finances.

While I believe that at this point you are sure that having a tiel is the one thing in life that will make you happy. I have seen all too many teens who commit to something like that then 2 years later discover boys, or dance, or whatever.

My advice, wait until you have

A a stable 40 hour a week job
B your own home.

At this point it is hardly fair on your parents if you get the bird then 3 years from now fly off to timbuktoo or off to college, etc.

Its not like it is your fault, it is simply that at 15 life changes tooo fast.

If you are really and truly determined to do this, you'll need to start with your parents.
I'd recommend presenting them with a well polished plan as to how your going to afford everything (including vet visits) This most likely would go best if you already have a job.

Since you obviously love birds you might consider a job in that area.
Be inventive, determined, mature.

Best of luck

"Old Fogey in Fargo"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts