Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ... I have been 'Following' for a while but we have not introduced ourselves ... We got Boo at 8 weeks from s Sydney breeder so he or she is about 7-8 months now ...we have 6 & 3 year old boys who are proving to be good bird owners - gentle and patient for the most part. As a family tho we are pretty new to birds.

I'll put photos up but Boo is not looking her/his best due to a moult and a nasty 3-day adventure that ended in being attacked by crows and being 'saved' from the crows by a CAT that delivered Boo to the lovely lady who ultimately saved Boo and called us (thanks also to Parrot Alert).

It turns out Boo should be renamed 'Houdini' or 'Lucky' since a couple of days ago there was another escape!

After 2 hrs of calling & whistling around the streets (impersonating a lunatic!) I heard Boo call back (a politically incorrect wolf whistle) and we were reunited (again) and Boo was fine!!!! I know, but a lotto ticket right???!!!

I thought the kids had been party to the first escape incident - wrong... Boo is super smart (or not depending on how you look at it) and can open the pretty complicated main cage door . I now have several pegs on every door to halt any other adventures and yesterday I ordered a new, tougher, bigger, cage.

Unbelievably, Boo survived his main adventure with little more than a cut on his eye lid. We went to an aviary vet and gave them a heap if $$$$$$ (cough, splutter) and Boo got an injection and is on oral antibiotics for 10days (that is a fine game twice a day NOT) plus they did a heap of other tests... The eye itself is fine, he is eating and drinking well and seems to be relaxing though Boo is understandably still a bit nervous.

I am hoping someone can help sexing Boo - there is whistling and calling but no talking ... And I can't remember what Boo's mutation is Latino something ???

Boo's cheek patch seems to be brighter than when we first met... And since this moult the tail feathers seem darker - previously they just looked 'dirty' now more distinctly grey.

Boo loves scratches and sitting on your shoulder -gives lots of kisses and interaction - I think Boo is quite outgoing ...

I am also considering getting Boo a companion - I feel like Boo has bonded with us (particularly me and the bird really loves my husband even though he doesn't encourage the bird at all!!! Every time Beaux walks in Boo turns into a chicken hawk and aims for DH face (Boo is still learning to fly - we got the bird with an extreme wing clip so the bird only started trying to fly about 4 weeks ago). Do you think this is a good idea or no?

Sorry about the long post ... It is great to meet you all!

(Took the photos this morning using preening session to try and show Boo's feathers)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hello and welcome to you, Boo and the rest of the humans in your house from Joey and me (and hubs, although he doesn't post here). It sounds like he has had some wild adventures! He's absolutely darling! :love:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do you have another cage for the new bird during quarantine? It will also be a safe area during the time when you introduce the two birds. Some birds might be a bit territorial, regardless of gender

Glad your Boo is safe and sound.

I'm hoping the experts on this forum will be able to help you with Boo's gender as I have no expertise in that area. Just anecdotally, I have 2 girls, one is very outgoing with loud calls

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Phronima ... I am getting a new cage next week so will keep the other cage (for quarantine etc) until we decide whether to get a second birdie ... I was just thinking it is nice for Boo to have a friend for when we aren't here ....and it might be better to get a friend while Boo is young (only 8 months) ...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sounds like you should call him Boo-dini! what an adventure! I am glad he is okay now. Maybe a new feathered friend will help keep him from flying away again!
Pretty bird!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts