Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been a cockatiel owner for 13 years, Sweetie is my eldest at 13 and Coco is 8. I got Sweetie for my 13th birthday, she was the most ugliest little thing I'd ever seen. She was still being hand fed when I got her being the greedy gobble guts she is, she would drop all her paste food all over her chest and then proceed to pluck her feathers out. With a little bit of TLC she blossomed into a gorgeous greedy little spoilt so and so but I wouldn't had her any other way. Recently she became suddenly very unwell, I rushed her to the emergency vet when I found her snuggled up in the corner on the bottom of her cage, very weak and poorly looking. I took her to 3 vets that day in total and was finally told what was wrong with her after many hours of driving around with my poor sick girl trying to get some answers. They told me she had a heart murmur and was going to cost thousands to fix and wasn't guaranteed a positive outcome. So I made the hard desicion to let my baby girl free, yesterday was a month since I had to say goodbye to my sweet sweet girl and I wish everyday I could have done things differently. Well without Sweetie that leaves Coco, she is a very loving little thing who hates everyone but me. She's come out of her shell a lot since she no longer has Sweetie to keep in line and boss her around. However she still needs a lot of work to train and teach her some manners.
We look forward to chatting to you all and will take on any advice in training an 8year old stubborn but loving girl.

Thank you
Bella x

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hello and welcome from Joey and me. :) Letting go of a precious little one is never easy. My heart is with you.

I look forward to pics of your Coco. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello and welcome from Joey and me.
Letting go of a precious little one is never easy. My heart is with you.

I look forward to pics of your Coco.
Thank you. I miss her everyday. She was my precious little girl and I know you aren't meant to have favourites but yeah haha. She was full of personality and was apart of the family.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum!

So sorry for your loss of Sweetie. Coco is very pretty, but I'm pretty sure 'she' is a boy! That lovely white face mask is a male trait. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, welcome to the forum!

So sorry for your loss of Sweetie. Coco is very pretty, but I'm pretty sure 'she' is a boy! That lovely white face mask is a male trait.
She's laid eggs before. When I first got her I had she in a seperate cage to Sweetie for a while so they could shut used to each other, that's when she laid however when I put them together in the big cage they both stopped laying. Is that weird?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Thank you. I miss her everyday. She was my precious little girl and I know you aren't meant to have favourites but yeah haha. She was full of personality and was apart of the family.
Not supposed to have faves, nope, but sometimes it just happens because of personality, or snuggliness, or some other reason. It is never intended, but just happens.

Coco is just darling! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not supposed to have faves, nope, but sometimes it just happens because of personality, or snuggliness, or some other reason. It is never intended, but just happens.

Coco is just darling!
i basically raised Sweetie so it's only natural, Coco I got when she was about 4 months. She is such a beautiful girl though very cheeky and more adventurous now she's on her own. I was to get her a new friend however I'm hesitant to now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome!

It's a hard decision what you've made but it was the best for her if she was going to suffer and it wasn't sure that she could recover.

Coco has a very big beak and she is gorgeous :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome!

It's a hard decision what you've made but it was the best for her if she was going to suffer and it wasn't sure that she could recover.

Coco has a very big beak and she is gorgeous
Thank you for your kind words.
I did what would have been best for her no way did I want to be selfish and keep her here while suffering.
Coco is gorgeous. I know her beak is huge, lucky she doesn't bite (well dhe tells you when she doesn't like something and has tantrums). I've seen a vet about it. It's grows a little on the long side but she maintains the length herself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts