Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, longtime bird lover, first time bird owner here. :)

first, a bit about myself, i'm a 21 year old business student who's also pursuing a career in professional boxing, while working part time as a waiter for extra money. along with that, i'm a passionate animal lover. I've been known to pick up strays i see and actively find them new homes, or sometimes keep them for myself :D

Anyway, enough about me, now on to my tiel, BoBo (or Bo, for short). I acquired BoBo through unexpected circumstances, as i had originally planned to go to a breeder and "let the bird pick me" as they say. Well, while i was at PetCo, getting the last bit of supplies for my future tiel, i noticed the birds they had for sale. a few budgies, GCCs were out of stock, but then there was this beautiful, yet lonely looking lutino cockatiel.

i went up to his glass, and he came straight up to the glass to check me out. we exchanged a few looks, and in a few moments it was clear that i felt a connection with this bird. i couldn't pass this up. This bird was lonely and needed a friend, and i wanted to be that friend.

i may have paid 60-80 dollars more than i would have at a breeder, but i believe it was worth it. As a result however, i'm still not sure of Bo's gender, so that's something i need to figure out. Lutinos are tough!

Anyway, I've had Bobo for about 6 weeks now, and he/she is doing very well. I get him/her at least 4 hours out of cage time a day, hanging out with me. most of the time its more. i know it sounds like i'm too busy for a bird, but i include my bird in whatever i do in my free time. If i'm home, Bo is with me.

At first, Bo was very skittish, and ran away from my hands, and very lightly nipped at my fingers. however, it only took about 4 days to teach "step up", and since then we've been progressing very well. I've been allowed to give skritches on two separate occasions thus far, although any other time hes usually very weary of fingers touching him/her. Bo does however take hand feeding and stepping up very well.

Bo also loves to communicate and listen to me, as my whistles are often replied to with chirps and chatter. i havent heard any actual whistling yet though, so im starting to think i have a chatterbox female! :)

Also not sure of his/her age, but petco gave me a "certificate of chlamydia testing" on the bird, and that was dated 7/22/2015. thats the only date i have associated with the bird.

since he/she is very well acclimated now, a vet visit is right around the corner!

anyway, i know i'm a rambler, so i will stop here, anyway i look forward to meeting all of you!

TL : DR :
Planned on getting a tiel from breeder, ended up connecting with a lonely tiel at petco and bought him/her. Birds name is BoBo. still unsure about the gender. I absolutely adore him/her already! looking forward to meeting you all!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Welcome to the board. Bobo is a cute little bird. Your career path is interesting.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from Milo and I. BoBo is beautiful! You can always have him/her DNA tested by plucking a few feathers from his chest area. It costs $25, so relatively inexpensive too.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Welcome! Bo is cute! :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Welcome!
I wonder what tests they actually run before handing out that certificate. Psittacosis can be really hard to test for accurately... Anyway, that's off topic.
I'd suggest DNA sexing if you want to know their sex. You can do it via feathers or blood. Both have pros and cons. I chose blood, it is more stressful for the bird at the time of extraction if you go the vet and they use a needle but is faster (or was for me) and you can get other stuff checked out too at the same time if you do it at a regular vet visit. You can clip a nail too short and get some blood that way too, saves the needle in the neck, but I've never done that personally.
As others have said you can also send off feathers and do it that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the welcome everyone!

i will probably do the feather dna test to figure out gender.

as for exact age, i'm still unsure. i guessed that he would be about 4-5 months old based on the date of the certificate.. but then again i don't know at which age they test them :/

·
Registered
878 Posts
Bobo is a beauty!

Thanks for the background info - I enjoy learning about my fellow tiel friends and how they came upon tiels in their lives.

So a big welcome to you from me and my buddy Percy! :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Welcome Bo to the forum :D What a stunning bird you are!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts