Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new my name is Mary. Boy, I hope I’m doing this right. Well a little about myself. I am married 22 yrs and have 3 children. I have no idea how I got into loving Cockatiels, but I do. My mother had one for a long time about 10yr and he was old when she got him, he must have been about 20 plus yrs when he passed. (I would have to say he out lived his original owner, had him when he was a baby).

She had a Cockatiel and I had Finches, 2 which turned into 20, had them outside on terrace and one of my children friends knock the cage over and need I say more, one came back. After that I said no more small birds. I brought Semmi from a woman in town, and my mother bought her sister. Semmi was thought to be a male, but is female, I think. When I purchased Semmi I noticed that some of the siblings had only one leg (not for sale), but Semmi look good and so did her sister. Semmi is still health, I’m thankful
I had no idea what I was doing and so I hit the net that was over a yr. 6 months after a friend at work told me that her daughter wanted to get rid of some birds. Cockatiels, a male Jude and a female named Mini. It has only been two years now and I have 16 cockatiels, had 17 give one to my mother Toughie, to be with her other three.(long story) I was also given a pair of young Lovies. So now I have 19 birds. I love them all so much, my children and husband call me the BirdLady, I prefer Ladyfeather. Lol

I’m so glad I found your site, not sure how but I did and I have lots of questions. Thank you and the pleasure is all mine. Good night to all.

·
Registered
443 Posts
WOW! You have a lot of birds! lol I'm jealous. Welcome to the site and I can't wait to meet more of your feathered friends.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Welcome to TC, so glad you found us. We are quite a friendly bunch here, so there is no problem with questions, just ask away and if we know the answer, we'll pass it on. As has already been said, it would be good to see pics. Have fun, look around and most of all join in wherever you feel you want to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the welcome, I can't wait to introduce everyone to my grandchildren.

but first have to learn how to download pictures.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mary, you have quite the big flock over there :D I am looking forward to hearing more about them ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome

Wow you have alot of teils sounds like alot of fun Im pretty new here too so just ask questions everyone on here is great and have some good advice hope to hear more about your birds soon :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I enjoy them all. I have posted a picture hope it's the right size it's just some of my flock, the teens, babies in the nest and parents sitting on someone. enjoy

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi ladyfeather welcome to the forums:D wow what lovely tiels you have:love:as you have seen we are all friendly bunch here at talk cockatiels:wacko:can,t wait to here more about yourself and your :)feathered friends

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Number of Cages and Mite control

Thank you, they are keep in two large cages the other one is much larger. It does not have as many toys around it. Less to clean up, but they are housed 8 and 8 now that the babies are older. How ever I am looking at Cages by Design, has any one heard of them?

The round thing on the cage is for mites, I hadn’t heard that, really thanks, I do not use them all the time as it is, they are removed and left off for months, depending on what’s going on in the nest. Now I won’t use them at all. :eek:

The cages are cleaned every day (4) of them, and they are feed 2 to 3 times a day, depending on how active they have been for the day. They are totally broken down on the weekends, (all morning job), All my planets are bird safe and lighting is natural lighting, they are showered each day by misting, all but Mini she like to shower in the sink. And they are let out each day.

I am not sure as to want I’m doing, that why I’m so glad I found your site any information on keeping them happy and well is appreciated. They seem very happy, singing all day no yelling any more just song, and Mini is back to her wonderful self.

Oh, time for last snack of the day.

LadyFeather

1 - 17 of 17 Posts