Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: long post! Skip to the end if you're not interested. ;)

Some of you may remember me, as I used to be quite active on this forum and had a large flock. I fully admit that I got in way over my head with acquiring too many birds too quickly, mostly out of a desire to help birds out of bad situations (though several were fosters to begin with). Ultimately, I ended up rehoming all but three to good homes. I do feel some guilt, but I spoiled all of my birds rotten while they were with me, and rehomed them as responsibly as I could. I receive updates on the birds, and know they are loved and well cared for. Most importantly, I've learned my lesson that I can't save/have them all, despite how easy it is to fall in love with them! Right now, I am not in a position to operate a bird rescue, though that is a dream of mine for the future.

Anyway, a couple of months ago, life circumstances changed, and I ended up having to move into a new apartment...that does not allow birds. At the time I had a galah cockatoo and two male tiels, which were all far too loud to sneak in without being noticed. So, with a heavy heart, I made the decision to rehome the last of my flock. However, they are with a close friend of mine now, and I visit them frequently. I have to say it was probably the best decision I could have made for Flower, my galah. She is so much happier now! She has a "sister" of the same species (though they dislike each other, they do keep each other company and she is never lonely). Also, my friend is a stay at home mom so she is around more than me. She owns a business making custom bird toys and perches, and is very knowledgeable about parrots, so I know she will never want for anything. Technically, she is fostering the birds long-term for me, so I could theoretically ask for them back when my circumstances change -- however, I probably won't. If they are happy where they are, why uproot them again?

Now, to the last part of my story; without any birds in my life, I have been quite depressed. It's been harder on me than I anticipated. After much thought, I decided to welcome a new tiel into my life, and work on getting her declared as an emotional support animal so that I can bypass the no birds rule at my apartment. I chose a female, because in general they are quieter; a male singing his head off all day would probably not be okay here. I looked for adults for adoption, but after not having any luck, I broke down and went to see some babies I saw posted on Craigslist. And I couldn't *not* leave with one, after seeing the conditions they were in. I will not go into details out of respect for the owner, who is a kind person and clearly loves her animals; it wasn't totally horrifying, but it was clear it could easily go that way. I'm glad she was making the responsible choice to rehome the babies from this clutch and not let her pair breed anymore.

Without further ado, here is my new baby, Autumn (previously "Nibbles" which I still call her sometimes). I was told she's between four and five months old. She's somewhat tame and will usually step up, but she's hand-shy as she was not hand-fed. She loves to play and eats CONSTANTLY! Aside from that, I've only had her a week so we're obviously just getting to know each other. Can't wait to see her personality come out more as she grows up (and gets her feathers back, the poor little duck-butt).

I was suuuuper tempted to get her sister as well, but I decided against it because I'm really hoping to tame and bond with her first. If she seems happy as an only bird, it will just be her, but if not, I do plan to adopt another female (or a Bourke's parakeet) in the future.

I really hesitated to post this, because I know some will judge me for getting another bird. If you do, I completely understand. But I have decided to forgive myself and move on, knowing that I helped most all those birds and they are currently very happy. Ultimately, that is what matters. I also never asked for money for any of them, only that people convince me they would be a great home. ANYWAY, bottom line is, I've missed this forum and hope that I am welcome back. :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hello again

Welcome back! You new little girl is beautiful! I certainly do not judge you for getting another bird. I certainly understand how you would become depressed without your "fids." Were you able to get a waiver to keep Autumn as an emotional support animal? I hope so. She really does look sweet and they are great companions. Best to you!

·
Registered
309 Posts
What a pretty little hen she is! I have had times during my life when I couldn't have pets and I hated it so I fully understand how you felt.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I really hesitated to post this, because I know some will judge me for getting another bird. If you do, I completely understand. But I have decided to forgive myself and move on, knowing that I helped most all those birds and they are currently very happy. Ultimately, that is what matters. I also never asked for money for any of them, only that people convince me they would be a great home. ANYWAY, bottom line is, I've missed this forum and hope that I am welcome back.
No judgement here girly!! I rehomed my birds before our big move last year because the birds and the dogs weren't a good mix and the birds weren't getting the attention they deserved. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't ever be open to another bird in the future! I've always said female tiels are the way to go!! She's gorgeous! It's great to see you posting again!

FYI, I know that depressed feeling. I had that after Cinnamon died and another bird just wasn't going to fix that. That's why I asked for a dog, because going into the bird room broke my heart. You gotta do you right?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I don't think I could live without my pets either. That is a beautiful bird, and I am glad things have worked out for you.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Welcome back Garance!! I'm so sorry for everything that's happened, but your new girl is adorable :love:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome back! Your little girl is a real beauty! I understand depression very well, and also understand needing a bird :) BTW my little Milo, who is only 7 months old, has a complete duck butt too :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your new baby is beautiful! No judgment here, I had to rehome my two tiels 7 years ago because a Dr. told me I had breathing problems and birds would be bad for me. It turned out after a year of Dr.'s appointments it was not breathing problems but something else. Unfortunately my birds were gone. I too missed having birds and just got two new tiels 7 weeks ago and am so glad to have birds back in my life. I hope she helps you feel better. Congratulations!

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Aww thanks guys! Here are some more photos of her, from her first and second days home. Right now I miss her sooo much. I had to go out of town for a week, so she is staying with a friend. I hated having to leave her, and it's terrible timing, but I had no choice. Luckily she is a sassy little thing and is taking everything in stride.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Were you able to get a waiver to keep Autumn as an emotional support animal? I hope so. She really does look sweet and they are great companions. Best to you!
Not yet, because I had to go out of town, but right now she isn't even at my place; when I come back, I will talk to my therapist about it. For now it is highly unlikely she will even be noticed since she doesn't make much noise.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Welcome back! Many hugs for the ups and downs you've gone through!

Your new little lady is stunningly beautiful! Her duck butt makes her adorable, but I am sure her tail will be beautiful when it happens, My Joey had a duck butt until he was about 10 1/2 months old. Some fids just take longer than others to successfully grow and keep a tail.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yaaaay, welcome back! I went through very much a similar thing with the depression - my dog died in July and I found it really hard to cope without any animal support. I posted a thread about it in chit chat, but I'll just text you the details!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Welcome back Moonchild! :) Autumn is such a cutie. :love:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh, what a pretty girl! No wonder you couldn't resist her!

And, selfishly, I am glad to hear you say that her tail will grow out...my Dave's tail is just the same as he is a bit of a hazard and is always bashing his feathers on the cage!

Welcome back!

J

·
0 Posts
Oh my gosh she is super cute! I am happy you manged to rescue her. She definitely looks like she had it rough. Poor lil' bird will be much loved and cared for now :)
I can't imagine not having a little feathered buddy...

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had Murray in an apartment unnoticed for over a year. I was only discovered when my landlord, who is very involved and only owns this one property, showed up early for an annual boiler check and saw me smuggling Murray into my neighbour's house while he waited in his car. EMBARRASSMENT. But it all turned out OK, he just winked and turned a blind eye :)

I don't judge you at all. It sounds like you're a great owner, and it would be a shame if a bird couldn't have you! Autumn is so cute. I would just kiss that fluffy tummy all day :)

J

·
0 Posts
I had Murray in an apartment unnoticed for over a year. I was only discovered when my landlord, who is very involved and only owns this one property, showed up early for an annual boiler check and saw me smuggling Murray into my neighbour's house while he waited in his car. EMBARRASSMENT. But it all turned out OK, he just winked and turned a blind eye :)

I don't judge you at all. It sounds like you're a great owner, and it would be a shame if a bird couldn't have you! Autumn is so cute. I would just kiss that fluffy tummy all day :)

LOL, that's cool and was nice of him :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
hello again

Hi again Moonchild-I was thinking about you again and thought of something my parents told me a few years ago. They used to like to go out to eat (when my Dad was still able to drive). There was one little family restaurant they frequented, just a little place where mostly locals went. Mom told me they were in there one day and a man walked in with a parrot on his shoulder. (No, this isn't the start of a joke!) The owner told him he could not bring the bird into the restaurant, but he said it was a therapy animal. And they let him stay. I had never heard of that at the time. I don't know where you live, but it sounds like something they will allow here in the US. I don't know what you'd have to do to get your 'tiel approved as "emotional support." I hope everything works out!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
[email protected] having a Tiel ESA! I often use my birds as help for Schizoaffective disorder. I just wish birds were recognized as service animals out here in Manitoba, Canada. Or even as Emotional Support Animals.

Good luck to you! That 'having no pets' depression is a familiar feeling to me and not one I want to repeat. **Hugs**

1 - 20 of 21 Posts